A&P Tell me EVERYTHING you know about lenses

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by red^star, Nov 4, 2004.

1. red^star

red^star Guest

What is good, what it bad, what hooks up to what...

give me a guide because I don't know enough. :hs:

2. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

3. sony

sony Active Member

What kind of stuff do you take pictures of? :hsugh:

4. dmora

dmora Guest

oh wow. I thought you knew better than that Adri. :uh:

5. Kriddaw

Kriddaw More than meets the eye.

Primes > Zooms

The only Zoom I like is something like a 24-70mm on a Full Frame camera or 17-40mm on a 1.6x Crop camera.

6. Cid Vicious

Cid Vicious Guest

7. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

they are made of plastic and glass :eek3:

8. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

A quick primer.

The "faster" the lens (i.e. a lens that admits more light than another lens of the same focal length) the better and therefore the more expensive. A faster lens is useful in low light situations.

A "prime lens" is usually a bit shaper and faster than a zoom lens. A prime lens is a fixed focal length lens.

A zoom lens is more versatal than a prime lens and can take the place of several prime lenses. A good zoom lens is not cheap. A prime lens is usually cheaper than a zoom.

Lenses made by companies other than camera manufacturers come in various mounts and can be interchangable with the correct adaptors.

Lenses made by camera manufacturers are generally designed to fit their cameras and may or may not be interchangable with other cameras.

The longer the telephoto lens, the more expensive it's going to be.

You must use a tripod or monopod when you use really long lenses as the image is so magified that you risk getting a blurred picture if you try and hand hold the camera.

Extreme wide angle lenses (fisheye or 12mm for example) are limited in their usefulness as they distort the image.

Always use a clear or haze filter on every lens to protect it from the elements.

9. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

^^^^^ :werd:

10. bosox

bosox *

many would disagree on that, including me.

otherwise, great info :bigthumb:

11. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

On this subject I disagree but to each his own. At my job, we use lenses that cost between $8,000 and $15,000 each. Every one of our lens has a protective filter. All the lenses on my personal camera have protective filters. I learned my lesson the hard way many years ago when a film camera fell over, smashing the front element on an expensive zoom lens. Had there been a filter on the lens, it would have taken the fall, saving the front element.

12. 134k

134k New Member

Just because your filter cost $150 doesn't mean it's the best. Yes you are correct in terms of quality....glass and coated filters are the quality ones. If you have to talk about how much it cost rather than what it's made of, then you need to learn more about your equipment. Sorry that's IMHO, and I didn't mean to sound rude as well. I'd rather have salt spray hit my filter than the actual element. As far as $15000 lenses, they are out there, more along the lines of something called Commercial shortwave UV quartz lenses.

13. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Our wide angle zoom is a Canon J9a x5.2B4. It has a zoom range of 5.2mm to 47mm. This is a very expensive piece of glass. When we purchased it along with a digital Betacam, the total came to just over $60,000 with the camera amounting to about $45,000. Our long zoom is a Canon J20a x84B. This lens zooms from 20mm to 160mm. This lens isn't as expensive as the wide angle zoom but it isn't cheap either. Our other lenses are the "normal" Canon zoom lenses made for profesional video cameras.

A protective filter can protect the front element in a fall but you're right that a heavy enough fall can smash both filter and lens. The main reason we use protective filters is to protect the front element from grit, sand, water, etc. All these can destroy the coating on the lens in due time. I agree that buying the best possible filter is the way to go. We use mostly Tiffen filters. I also have a matte box and a selection of panavison filters and standard 4x5 filters.

14. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I use filters on all my 30 year old Minolta lenses as well. They are still in good condition. I believe in protecting my gear, expensive or not.

15. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Just as we spend a little more on filters to protect our $15,000 piece of glass. But that's not the point. The point is you really should have some type of filter to protect the coating and front element of your lens no matter how "cheap" or expensive it may be. The only time the filters come off my lenses are to clean them or if I'm shooting in the studio.

16. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

:werd: this man speaks the truth