GUN Tell me all about Kimber pistols.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by shiizz0n, Jan 2, 2008.

1. shiizz0n

shiizz0n OT Supporter

The 1911's and KPD.

A cousin of mine told me that Kimber is the best (in his opinion), yet very pricey.

Thoughts?

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

No disrespect to Kimber owners because I've owned one since around 98. But it's one of those "easily identifiable" names that people like to name drop to sound like they are privy on firearms. They are better than your average pistol, but some seem to think more highly of them. There are much better performing 1911's in that price range and less if pure performance is what you are after.

Here's a good anaology: It's like a Jr. Exec bragging about his Porche Boxster. Nice car, better than a Kia, but most other real Porche owners would probably not associate themselves to a "boxster".

3. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

I have a Kimber. I've never had any problems with it whatsoever. Fit and finish is top quality. Never a FTF or FTE with my Kimber. My problem is I just don't shoot 45acp all that often.

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

I've owned one since they were new to the market that has probably 25k rounds through it, so I have spent some time behind it. And a majority of my issues came before 10k rounds, which included FTE's and FTF's. The tolerances are not nearly as tight.

But fit and finish for a gun in the 1,000 to 1,500 price range is far from "top quality", or maybe my definition of "top quality" differs, I suppose I'm a little more demanding than most. Albeit mine is still competition ready, but it's hardly "out the box" and has spent some time at my gunsmith.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008