MIL Tell me all about being an AF Fighter Pilot

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AustinL911, May 30, 2005.

1. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I have decided that this is where I want to go with my life after wasting 2 years in college. I think I'm going to major in Commercial aviation or something along those lines, and then, once I have my bachelors, I will hopefully, join the AF as an officer with the intent on being a fighter pilot (preferably an F-22 Raptor). And then maybe when I get old, IF I would decide to leave the AF, I could fall back on being a commercial airline pilot, if I so choose.

So, What I want to know is, EVERYTHING!

Any and all info you can think of that a perspective fighter pilot should know, spill it.

One thing I want to do is TRAVEL! I want to see as much of the world as humanly possible. I know the Navy does a bunch of traveling, but, I'm not so much interested in the Navy as I am the AF. Should I look into the Navy as well? Do you get to travel a lot in the AF?

What qualifications do you NEED? What qualifications should you have, but aren't a necessity?

What things Disqualify you from becoming a fighter pilot? Can some of them be fixed?

Age requirements?

Do you have to attend the AF Academy? If not, what's the point behind the AF Academy?

VISION REQUIREMENTS?!?!?!?! <== This is a biggie. I currently have perfect vision in my right eye, with only a SLIGHTLY whacky left. That isn't to say that they won't get worse, as both of my parents have bad vision (to what extent, I'm not exactly sure). Do they allow fighter pilots to have laser corrective surgery done?

Flight Stories you've heard?

Is it a good field to get into?

What do pilots do when they aren't flying?

Are you allowed to select which aircraft you want to fly on a normal basis? Are you stuck with one plane your entire AF career or do they let you fly multiple types?

Moving up in rank? How is this done? What do you do to increase your rank?

I'm sorry for all these questions, but I've been building some of them up for awhile now. I have yet to talk to a recruiter, but I will probably be doing so sometime soon. I won't be entering the AF for atleast another 4 years, but I figure it's about time that I should start putting some thought into my life and where I'm going with it, which until recently, was nowhere.

I really just wanted to hear from you military peeps and what all you had/have to say about my current thinking.

Thank you for your time. :hsd:

Austin

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Seriously, do you need us to tell you anything about being a fighter pilot? Maybe you would like us to detail the life of a rock star also.

3. AustinL911

Hey, if you got that info, I'd take it as well. :mamoru:

:fawk:

4. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

I heard in the AF most pilots are from the Academy. The Marines have a guaranteed flight option, but chances are you'll wind up in a helo.

5. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I do know that you are going to have to do something right to get the Raptor...
    The military can be who you know not what you know sometimes.
    If you want training in commercial flight, why not go for something similar to commercial aircraft? say transport aircraft or tankers.

6. AustinL911

Because that's no fun. That's just a backup if the fighter thing falls through. What I really want to do is fly some cool shit.

7. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

it's a 15 year timeline to fly some coolshit.

most of the questions you can figure out just by doing your homework. military.com or usmilitary.about.com will have most of the anwsers. after you read through the basics maybe then you should pop back in and ask stuff that only experience can tell you.

8. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

Hey, I live the rock star lifestyle.

9. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Carrier landings on a rough sea during a cold windy night in the freezing rain = :noes: + :crying:

10. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

so many misconceptions and misinformation... *sigh*

Yes, it is very easy to become an Air Force pilot. I myself am a millionaire with 5 Enzo's and a large mansion. I have a swinger lifestyle with my supermodel wife and her supermodel friends, who were all very horny virgins before they met me. :coolugh:

I'll get back to this thread later, until then make google your friend.

start here:
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerjobs/a/afoffjobs.htm

then here:
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerjobs/a/11xx.htm

then this:
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerjobs/a/11fx.htm

then to learn about pilot training:
    http://www.baseops.net/militarypilot/

then read this:

http://www.sdsiou.ang.af.mil/pilot_information.html

about your eyes, they may pass, you may get a waiver, but its not likely. you can get laser eye surgey, but only PRK, not LASIK. It is an annoying waiver process, but chances are you'll get a waiver -- I have a PRK waiver, and I'm waiting for my pilot slot to come around.

commissioning -- you need a 4 year degree. Get into ROTC if it is offered at your school. Otherwise you'll need to try and get into OTS - officer training school. Both programs are getting more and more difficult to get into.

the USAFA just a combination of college and ROTC, seamlessly merged together. Its a 'free' school, its a great education, and its prestigous.

No, not all fighter pilots or all pilots come from there. Academy guys are set aside a pilot slot unless they either don't want it, or don't qualify for it. They get about 1/2 the available slots, ROTC and OTS get the other half. Its very competitive and you can easily be medically disqualified. Everyone thinks academy guys get the fighter pilot slots, but they don't. Once at UPT(if you read the links I gave you, you'd know what this is), you're racked and stacked against your classmates and then matched up with the needs of the Air Force. You'll have no way of knowing if you will get a pilot slot until you've already signed your life away. If you get into pilot training, you'll have no way of knowing what you're going to fly. The better you are, the better your chances are of getting one of your choices.

talking to a recruiter is useless. He knows about enlisted jobs, and wants you go enlist. You need to talk to an ROTC detachment personell officer, or a current military pilot. Remember this. Enlisted know enlisted jobs, officers know officer jobs. Officers are upper management, Senior enlisted are middle management, lower enlisted are the grunts. Enlisted make the world go round. But in the Air Force, only officers fly. Otherwise officers just sit back and eat donuts ;) If you're not flying, you're probably training, studying, sleeping, or in a breifing/debreifing, planning flights... or doing some other paperwork.

anything else?

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  11. AustinL911

That's the kind of info I'm looking for. Thank you so much. I've been reading my ass off about all this military stuff (went through all 6 pages of this forum). I've been reading alot from military.com and also www.usmilitary.about.com, which someone mentioned earlier. I'm slowly learning more as I go. Again, thanks for the help.

12. ManinCamo

No problem.

Like I said, forget about recruiters. Go to an Air Force ROTC detachment and tell them you're interested.

Whats your current major?

Oh, and a commercial aviation won't really help you, outside of the additional flight time. My suggestion, something easy like political science, and go get flight time on your own - it will boost your score for getting a pilot slot.

Unless you have are going after a "technical" degree, like engineering, nursing, computer science, the military will train you, whatever job you get. If you do have a technical degree, then that is most likely what job you'll get.

13. ManinCamo

Me? rank?

Long answer: If you read my user text, it offers hits. I'm a completed cadet - I've finished up all my ROTC stuff, just need to finish my degree. In December I commission as a 2dLt

short answer: Cadet/Nothing

You're trick question: Warrent Officer, Helo's

14. brackac

UAV pilots.

15. brackac

On OT?

16. brackac

Just goes to show that you never know who you are talking to. I was argueing the mission and purpose of the Warrant Officer rank in todays Army with a guy on another forum. We decided to take it to email, and he sends me his reply. He turns out to be a Lt Colonel who was writing a paper on bringing the WO rank back to the Air Force. :eek3:

Then there is that time that I was getting personal emails to me civilian email box from the Commandant of the Air Force Academy and didn't know who he was for the longest. :rofl:

17. ManinCamo

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :bowdown:

18. ManinCamo

I don't like you. You ALWAYS whore, or are rude/obnoxious in your posts.

19. ManinCamo

its ok, I forgive you. You last two posts to me were nice.

20. ManinCamo

workout?