Tell me about Yamaha Banshees...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Logik, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Logik

Logik Livin la vida broka

I am interested in procuring one of these this winter to fuck around on. I'm trying to crash a ton of research, on them, into a week or two's time so i can buy one (used). Trying to spend <$3k.

I've already been scouring www.BansheeHQ.com for info like good years and differences between models et cetera.

Any help is appreciated. :)

a pic for reference (and because any post w/o pics is worthless):
    [​IMG]

2. 86 Bird

86 Bird eh

They go like a raped ape

3. Logik

Logik Livin la vida broka

which is why i want one.

Yamaha... check
    2 stoke... check
    fast as shit... check. :o

4. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

they are fast and a lot of fun. That short wheelbase makes flying through turns a pleasure.

There is also nothing like the sound of that twin 2-stroke at full song.
    Sound like a swarm of angry hornets.

5. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

From like 87 on they are all pretty much identical. Yamaha just changed the plastics over the years. The earlier ones have different front A arms.

Pipes are of great importance. To put it bluntly the stock pipes suck . A banshee will gain something like 15HP with just a set of pipes. Most used ones already have aftermarket pipes though.

The air filter flange is known to leak sometimes. There are several kits out to fix it. Another very common mod that you will find had been done on most of them.

Be prepared to shift quite a bit to keep it up in the powerband. They dont have a lot in the way of low end, but scream at the top.

The cooling system doesnt like going slow for extended periouds either. If this is a problem you bought the wrong quad. :rofl:

6. V!

V! New Member

I had one growing up, I thought it was alot of fun

7. Infrastructure

Infrastructure New Member

they scream for sure, but like another poster stated pretty much the same platform since 87 with virtually no changes except plastics.

8. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

check bluetraxx.com as well... another great board for yamahas..

9. lOnEstArMx250r

lOnEstArMx250r I dont know.

Yeah are okay. But IMO 250r's are the best quad on hte market STILl...well they arn't on the market persay(sp) but if you can get one get a R insted of a shee

and shee is more or less trials/dunes....And 250r's are for bassicaly everything..and they are madd powerful!!!

10. Imagine

Imagine New Member

Banshee's are great quads. Typical two stroker. If you maintain it well, it shouldn't be a huge issue. The suspension isn't near as good as the newer ATVs. They are touted as one of the best ATVs for duning. If your just looking for a machine to blaze up fields, etc. The banshee will definately fit that bill. As was stated earlier, you can pull some big power out of them with rather minor mods.

11. MXQuadRacer

MXQuadRacer New Member

(sorry for no-post in the intro forum...saw the thread and had to jump on it)

Be careful on the purchase of a 'shee...you WILL end up dumping thousands, and thousands of dollars into modifications. That two-stroke motor is so easy to put cash into, your pocketbook will be left empty in no-time :). You will feel the banshee power, and you WILL love it. Amazing quad for a cheap price...many complain about the suspension being old-technology...while this is true, it is rarely a problem. They simply are not designed for the motocross track, or freestyle. However, you cannot get a better all-around quad for drag racing, trail riding, and dune riding. The power in a piped, intake, and jetted banshee is unreal with such small modifications. The power kick is amazing...being that the low-end is not all there but mid/upper range power is ALL THERE. The change from lacking to all-out hp, is a kick in the teeth.

Not a better sounding quad...as 06' being the last year Yamaha is ALLOWED to make them, many are still jumping on board. There are more than enough places to get parts on hand, and will be for years, and years to come.

Now, if your riding style is FAST straights, trail riding, and dune riding - the banshee for a cheap price is PERFECT for you. However, if you're looking for a cheap quad that will primarily be to race motocross with or jump freestyle, you may want to research a 250r.

Bottom line...banshee's are unbeatable in a drag. There are literally hundreds of banshees out there that are unreal fast. Easy to mod, and get great response from.

Good luck, on the purchase.

(Quad pictured, is a 580cc titanium chassis banshee) Not hard to become a victim to banshee fever.;)
    [​IMG]