Tell me about this Toshiba Laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hairy Gorilla, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Yeah I know I always see Toshiba = shit, but how do you guys like this laptop?

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?poid=339046&coid=-31400&seg=HHO

I can get it for under 900 out the door. It seems to have all of the performance I was looking for, and be in my price range. My friend just got an IBM with the fingerprint reader and I thought it was awesome. I would consider an IBM but to get a similar priced IBM w/ fingerprint reader I would only get an Intel Celeron M processor and 512MB ram. What are your thoughts?

Oh yeah, and I'd have windows Home edition instead of Pro

2. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

:ugh: its a Toshiba. /thread

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Remember, you pay for what you get.... Cheap Toshiba.... May as well save up and buy something that will get several years of usage.

4. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I went from an AMD processor to a Celeron that was about 60% faster supposedly by specs and it annoyed me that it was so much crappier. I'd save the money too and get something better. Remember too that if you buy extended warranty you're doing yourself a favor.

5. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Cool fuck the Toshiba. I'm so worried about buying a laptop now. It seems like they all pretty much suck. I found a great deal on a Lenovo at office depot, and i'm thinking about jumping on it. I would imagine the quality is similar to an IBM thinkpad?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

only if it's a lenovo thinkpad... otherwise, no.

7. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Why are the thinkpads so much better than the "family" notebooks. I'm only looking something to do simple internet browsing/aim/school projects. I don't need a computer for super secure networks

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Because the Thinkpads are built to be beaten up by company workers who don't own them and don't care as much as they would if they did own them. If an employee's laptop breaks because it can't "endure the rigors of business use", they get issued a new one; but, the company still has to pay for a new one in that circumstance, and so there's a big market for laptops that don't break when people abuse them.

As a personal user, if you're going to spend several thousand dollars on a piece of equipment, you might as well benefit from that durability.

9. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Thinkpads are robust, pretty much as good as it gets IMHO.

10. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

We buy quite a few Toshibas for our company. Yes I know, it's not the best but given that you get more for your buck, we can afford more of them. Do they break? Yes. Of the 3 Tecra S1's I'm aware of (2 from 1 company, and one from my previous company), they've ALL had their MBs replaced. That's pretty shitty. Having said that, we also have several A series that have never had any problems over a long period of time.

I'm currently using an A6 myself (I wanted a smaller laptop I could take on the plane - HAHAHAHA - sigh...), and bought an A8 for the controller. Both have worked without incident. Just be aware that your config has no DVD burner, and a shitty video card. Might not be important to you though.

It's a very odd thing - I won't recommend Toshibas to anyone, but we do use them for work. Don't ask how I rationalize it :rofl:

11. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no.

You want thinkpad... Not that other crap.

13. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Oh yeah, i forgot to add, this computer is not going to be my primary computer. I've already got a desktop that is fully loaded with everything I need. This is simply for when I'm at class or traveling.

Show me decent thinkpad for under $1000 and i'll consider it...

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

for under $1k you want Apple.

You can probably find an entry-level asus for just under $1k... Anything else decent will probably start just over $1k

15. deusexaethera

Seriously, just buy the good version. Yes, it costs more, but so does paying to get your screen replaced when (not if) the laptop slips out of your bag or off your desk, and you didn't have a Thinkpad with a metal skeleton.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

thinkpads are plastic-casing.

17. deusexaethera

Thinkpads have a metal SKELETON. Did I say anything about the outer shell? No, I didn't. Learn to read.

18. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

This is ridiculous. I should have just gone elsewhere for a laptop opinion. Thinkpads are the only thing worthy on offtopic. I'm looking for a cheaper laptop for doing very minor things. I not looking to spend over $1000. And this won't be my main computer..

19. deusexaethera

Personally, I prefer Fujitsu laptops because they have a good set of functions without tons of bloatware installed. They also are more durable than Toshiba laptops. I didn't mention it before because I didn't want to get flamed to hell.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Then go to Home Depot and buy a brick. That's what a toshiba laptop is equivelant to.

If all you need is a car to get you to/from work every day then you can choose a civic, or like a really shitty kia... The civic is going to be MUCH more reliable... And if all you want is an "every-day" car isn't that REALLY important.

If you want a laptop to take to classes and type on, etc, then you NEED to it to be durable and reliable. Toshiba doesn't provide that.

21. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

22. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

i give it a thumbs up, id take a slighty slower more reliable machine that a fast one that breaks down anyday