Tell me about the B6 Passat 2.0T

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by anjego, May 27, 2008.

1. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!

I'm considering getting rid of my 2003 GTI 1.8T (daily driven in gridlock Chicago traffic) and replacing it with the smoother (and automatic-transmission) Passat 2.0T.

Yes, it's bigger, but the question - is it still fun? Does anybody have one as a DD? It looks like a solid car, decent reliability, nice interior.. what are the drawbacks?

Unfortunately the "sporting" qualities of a car don't present themselves much opportunity for use in Chicago, so I'm more looking for a comfortable, fun ride, not a "sports car" persay. And automatic transmission :hs:

:dunno:

2. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

Hm. My dad has the 3.6 4mo version, big brother :) He has the sport pack so I can't comment on the base handling. he also has 4motion. Handling is good and precise, but the car has a vague sensation. I get more feeling from my 2001 Passat GLX. Interior build quality is excellent. design is subjective.
    reliability has been fine. very very very minor electric gremlins (mechanical reliability will differ, due to motor). teh 6AT tranny has a SLIGHT lurch when you come off the brake with no gas, this can be fixed for free at your local dealer.

3. anjego

I think that generally speaking, an A4 would be a better DD, right?

Despite the shared engine, the A4 is a much nicer ride... :dunno:

4. art_VW_shark

:dunno: since my dad had the sport pack his Passat rides a bit harsh, but ride dynamics are good. I am sure the non-sport B6s have a decently supple ride. A4 good? nah. but it's bigger and cheaper than a 2.0T a4

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The B6 is generally more Camrified than the B5 is. On the other hand, the Camry is a reliable car, so there's an up-side and a down-side.

Watch out for the electronic parking brake. When it fails, it fails on.

6. deusexaethera

Unfortunately, the front suspension design isn't suitable for a FWD car. It works well at keeping the wheels on the ground, but when it has to transmit acceleration and braking as well, the ball joints wear out really fast.

Also, the scheduled-maintenance bill for an A4 can put a kid through private school.

7. art_VW_shark

elaborate.

8. Jason

Jason New Member

There is no B6 Passat.

9. deusexaethera

Technically it's the PQ46 Passat, or something like that, but people call it the B6 because it's not based on the A chassis like the Golf is and the Jetta used to be.

10. deusexaethera

The steering isn't as crisp, the suspension is softer, the center of gravity is higher, and supposedly all the engine unreliability problems the B5 had are fixed. It's also not the most aerodynamic car in its class anymore.

11. Jason

Jason New Member

No, it IS based on the "A" chassis. Or, rather, what the A chassis has become (PQ35). It's just on a stretched Jetta/Rabbit chassis.

People call it a B6 because the Passat has always been built on the B chassis along with the A4, and they don't know what they're talking about when it comes to the Mk6 Passat.

12. Jason

Jason New Member

It's more like the stretched Jetta that it is, than the low end A4 that it was.

13. art_VW_shark

My B5 hardly rides harshly, and my dad's b6 is atleast a quarter inch lower than my b5. But he has Sport II. :)

14. deusexaethera

I'm pretty sure that's what I just said. Nice job.

15. deusexaethera

Your Passat rides harshly? The hell you say.

Are you sure your front control arms aren't shot to hell? I hated the handling on mine before I got them replaced.

16. art_VW_shark

hardly rides harsly. the b5 that is; the b6 is a bit harsh, but we have sport II.
    Deus i am posting from your favorite place. the waiting room of my VW dealer ;)

17. deusexaethera

Hey now, I never said I knew how to read, I just know how to write.

Heh. I haven't been in a VW dealer since the first year I owned my car. Instead I pay a private shop even more money to do the work right the first time. Can't tell you how impressed I was when I got my car serviced at Lindsay VW and the damn timing belt cover was put on wrong, so one of the metal clips was rubbing against the belt.

18. art_VW_shark

:noes: the one i am at now does fine work. the one where we bought my mom's touareg at once broke the car more after the service than when it came in. walked in with a malfunctioning hatch mechanism, walked out and gas cap wouldn't open

19. anjego

Well, keep in mind, I've got a MKIV GTI which will almost certainly ride harsher than either cars. Not that it's S2000 harsh, but you certainly feel every bump in the road. Either an "old" or "new" passat will be a smoothness improvement.

which care are you referring to? Are you saying the Passat's suspension isn't as well designed as the A4? I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me :o

Thanks for the thoroughly unhelpful response. You know what car I'm asking about, what's the point of nitpicking over chassis codes?

20. deusexaethera

Both the A4 and the Passat (1999-2005) use the same front suspension, and the problem is this: instead of the control arms having three pivot points each, they have four. Three is better because in a triangle, there's no room for the joints to flex, but with four pivot points, every time a force is applied to the suspension to pull it forward or backward (i.e. acceleration or braking...or speedbumps or potholes or anything else in the road), the pivot points get bent in directions they're not designed to move in, and the pivots wear out every 20kmi, worst-case scenario. More likely every 50kmi, but that's still so often it's silly.

21. art_VW_shark

no offense, but i am a slight built skeptical. TSB on this, recognized by any one else on vortex, maybe?

lol you'll get a kick outta this, deus; so the cars done, and I am on my way to gym. Come back home to shower and get a bite to eat, then leave to go run some errands. On the way back from ShopRite, fuck my life, I get an orange CEL. I was furious! I knew it was minor but man, was it angering me in principle. So my dad calls the dealership, they sheepishly tell him that "after maintenance its common to get a CEL", the most bullshit response ever. So we're gonna wait before we go backthere and get it fixed.

22. Jason

Jason New Member

Boston VW or Quirk? :mamoru:

23. deusexaethera

It's funny, I have a bright orange CEL sticker on the side of my car, and ever since I put it on there, I've never seen that light again.

Anyway, no there isn't a TSB for the suspension, because they'd have to redesign the fuckin' thing -- it's not a matter of the current Part X being too weak, it's a matter of the design is such that any possible Part X will wear out prematurely.

The inboard pivots on the control arms are simple sleeve bushings, which is fine. The problem is that because the outboard ball joints do nothing to prevent flexing fore and aft, the load on those inboard bushings is supported mainly by their edges instead of by the entire contacting surface. When the edges wear away, they get loose and sloppy in no time.