Tell me about the 99-05 golf/jetta

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Wilddog, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Wilddog

Wilddog OT Supporter

Specifically the 01-02. I need a new daily driver and I would like something relatively reliable and fun to drive

2. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

My 01 1.8t has been pretty solid since I've had it (2004).

I've put about 60k miles on it. The only real problems I've had with it during that time would be a bad steering rack (leaked ps fluid, had to replace the entire rack), valve cover seal went bad (covered under warranty), both tie rods, mass airflow sensor which was covered under extended emissions warranty, and coilpacks just recently (a few months back, about $120)

Overall, it has been a very solid car. The only problem I have with it is a little electrical jitter. Sometimes if the windows are open, and I go to lower them some more, it will actually close the windows. All in all, not a big deal. Also the prices on them are very good. You could probably get a decent 01 1.8t for like 7-8k if not less.

Also, for what it is worth, my car is slammed on coilovers and has other mods. I know thats why the tie rods wore out on me early and as for the steering rack, I think it was just defective but IDK. If you do normal maintenance and take care of the car, it will be good to you.

3. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

I've had two.

02 Golf GLS 2.0L M5.
    Bought it brand new Fall 2001, and sold it two years ago with 280,000 kms on it. It was a dog of a motor but a fantastic car inside and was as solid the day we sold it as the day we picked it up. Did rear brakes twice and never touched the front brakes. The clutch was a problem and had to be replaced at 90,000 kms. One wheel bearing needed replacement. Other than that the car was champ and great to drive.

03 Jetta TDI M5, bought it at 118,000 kms and 2.5 years later (two weeks ago) traded it in at 270,000 kms. Again solid car and did front brakes once, and rear brakes twice. Consistent 1000 kms per 52L of diesel. I had the diesel tuning box and a VR6 clutch to hold the extra torque. Fun as hell car to drive and never caused a problem until 3 weeks ago when the turbo quit. Replaced it, and then we had a cold snap and my original battery started giving me trouble. Did a wheel bearing, alternator (don't cheap out, get the $600 one). Rad fan cracked (rare) and I replaced it in 20 minutes with a fan from the wreckers. Did glow plugs ($75) as I had a code pop up. A few small things over the years, but nothing major aside from the turbo. Was it expected to last past 250,000 kms? Check out tdiclub.com and most people will tell you not.

Now I have an 09 clean diesel Jetta M6.

4. just_another_on

just_another_on New Member

Well depends on what you want out of the car.

The MK4's (99.5-2005.5) are solid, but really each application has its pro's and cons.

Golf - 4 Door/2 Door - 4 Doors came primarily 2.0l engines, essentially barely enough power to get out of their own way. In 2000-2001 7,750~ish were made with the 1.8Turbo motor in the 4 door. If you want the practibility of a sedan, but enjoy the hatch, seek the 4 door 1.8Turbo. It was my first volkswagen and by far my favorite. At 150hp (pre 2002), the turbo does plenty and if you would like to mod the car there are thousands of options out there these days.

GTi/Jetta - Come in the VR6 or the 1.8T. Anything after 2002 the motor on the 1.8Turbo was boosted to 180hp as oppposed to the 150, only difference techincally is an ECU tune.

The VR6 motor on the other hand is RAW. Pure power, motor that sounds better than 90% of the american muscle motors in the past 20 years. Again, with around 200hp and no boost, its plenty of car to have fun with.

The 2.0 + Jetta = useless. I'd highly advise staying away from that paticular platform.

One thing with Mk4 Volkswagens that everyone tends to over look when they claim 'vw reliability sucks' or 'serious problems with high mileage vw's" is that VW's are like blondes. You keep up with them, they are happy. You neglect them for just the slightest second, and you will know about it.

Timing Belts/Water pump = $1000+ job if not maintained, never mind if timing slips and you blow a head

5. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

Though I agree with the above poster on most of those I disagree on the engine summary.

The 1.8T is a pig on fuel for the car's size and requires premium fuel.

The TDI engine is just that, a diesel which will have the turbo go around 200 - 250,000 kms. Some hold on until 300+, but will return 55MPH highway and 45MPG city.

The 2.0L is a dog of a motor, but not painfully slow. Some had higher than normal oil consumption but the dealer put new rings in and still will. The 2.0L gave us consistent 40MPG in the summer and 36MPG in the winter.

VR6 no experience.

2.0L engines had weak Luk or Sach's clutches. It was hit or miss. Replaced once and it then lasted forever. Go figure.

As for letting things go, not really. The 02+ cars had 160,000 km timing belts while the 99.5 to 01 had 100,000 km timing belts. You can put the higher mileage belt in place of the 100k belt when you change. Do waterpumps at that time. Local VW guys can do the timing belt, waterpump and all associated tensioners for $500 cash.

Don't fuck with the transmission fluid. Put in what VW says to.

6. poz

poz New Member

I have an 01 jetta and I really enjoy driving it. Even though it's only a 4 cylinder, I think it's pretty fun to drive. Mine has ~75k miles on it and I've put about 7-8k on it since I got it in October.

I actually went into the VW dealership yesterday because I needed to get a recall fixed. They got my vin, told me everything that needed to be fixed, and that it would be without any charge. (My brake sensor was screwed up and it would make the brake lights stay on after i turned the car off every once in a while, draining the battery). Anyway, I dropped it off this morning and picked it up about an hour ago. It felt like I was driving a new car.. It was washed, checked up for maintenance (brakes, rotors, steering wheel fluid, lights, etc) and this was all done for free, even though my car is way out of warranty. :bowdown:

I really wasn't considering buying another VW down the road (even though I love their cars) because they aren't exactly really reliable compared to other companies, but the service I got today really changed my mind about it and I will definitely check out VW before anything else later on.

7. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

I love mine reliable not outragesly quick (have 2.0) but I can keep up with traffic get ~30MPG reliability is :bowdown: ive got ~66k on it now just changed the brake lights for the first time overall 10/10 poz I got that recall too and they also checked for maintenance washed it and I got free doughnuts :bowdown:
    EDIT: $500? local dealer told me it was ~1200 :eek3:

8. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

nvm figured it out :doh:

9. poz

poz New Member

:cool:

10. Wilddog

Wilddog OT Supporter

I'm really confused now because every consumer report I read gives them really iffy reviews. I'm particularly looking at a 1.8t golf or jetta

11. 20aeman

20aeman New Member

02+ 1.8ts are the way to go. By then, they had fixed most of the major issues with the car. (green top coolant sensor and coilpack revision..also the window regulators are sturdier...this happened earlier though)

Only things I'd worry about would be the timing belt and the water pump...it has a plastic impeller that has a tendency of dying prematurely.

Other than that, they are fairly reliable cars.

In terms of performance, try getting a GLI...02M six speed is significantly better in everyway, 240mm clutch has a longer lifespan as well.

02+ cars have a wideband o2 sensor and a more intelligent ecu...performance software flashes are better with these cars.

12. Virality

Virality New Member

There's a fault in your post

13. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

i have an 01 jetta i dont wanna hijack the thread but im curious is it BAD for the car if..when u turn on the care and just start reving it to like 3000pm? (i dont keep it there) (gas on, gas off repeats cycle 3-4 times)

14. GreenBeans

GreenBeans Guest

get a tdi, a tune and nozzels will give you 140whp and 260wtq and 55mpg

15. GreenBeans

GreenBeans Guest

r u srs? why would you do that? :nono:

16. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

oh just to hear the engine rev i love the sound of the engine

17. stosstruppe

stosstruppe OT Supporter

got a 01 gti with 196k miles on it, still goes 130 on the highway when i desire

18. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

I've got a 1999 (Mk IV) Golf GLS w/ 5-speed and the 2.0(slow).

It is a great daily driver. The 1.8t will get you around 23-25mpg where the 2.0L gets around 30mpg -- if that is of concern. The '99 models were predominately made in Germany (as was mine as the plants in Mexico were not yet equipped to build them at launch), which was a plus in my mind, as hecho en mexico seemed to have a lot more issues (the wife had a 2000 Jetta from there).

Parts are more expensive for a German made vehicle, and labor is usually more as well if you plan on having a shop perform services. Another draw back is the frequency of little issues arising:

VW issues are as follows:
    1. Windows not functioning properly -- albeit not usually the motor, but the adhesive the glass is attached to breaks down.
    2. Door latches not working on the exterior or interior.
    3. Factory stereos (Mongoose especially) will not power on after 4-5 years of use.
    4. Crank sensors go back about every 4 years.
    5. Light bulbs, light bulbs, light bulbs (just buy them in bulk -- shitty wiring means they always burn out prematurely). The cheeper the bulb, the longer it will last (as they are not as bright, and won't draw as much current).
    6. Headlamps are plastic, and will need polishing at some point (this depends on if it was garaged and well kept). Eventually the UV coating will be gone, and they'll turn yellowish and cloud up on you.
    7. The turbos (between 70-100k almost always have a crack at the waistgate (due to improper cool-down by the owner). Yet they still function.

VW Golf Pros:
    1. Girls love the car, I have no fucking idea why, but they seriously do.
    2. Parallel parking rocks.
    3. Gas milage in the 2.0, and acceleration with the 1.8t (choose your poison).
    4. Drivability: These are really fun, zippy cars, with damn good handling, cornering, and are easy to get use to driving.
    5. Price!
    6. Looks, they are nice on the eyes -- especially with a nice set of 18" x 8" rims and low profiles.
    7. Engines sound nice, they actually thinned out the dash board materials in order to draw more of the engine note into the cabin. It actually sounds faster than it is, but who cares if she's into it.
    8. VW has been building the 1.8t and 2.0L for some time now, and are fairly bullet proof.
    9. The manual transmissions (if used properly) usually outlast the rest of the vehicle (although the connector between the shifter and the gear box is made of plastic, and prone to breaking in cold weather when the user force-shifts it into place). That part is dirt cheap and easy to replace though.

PM if you have any other questions. I have 147k and still use it as the daily. The Jetta was sold because it turned into a money pit. Guess the race of who bought it.

Wanna know where the Golf your interested was built?
    Check the first number of the VIN:
    1 = US
    3 = Mexico
    9 = Brazil
    W = Germany
    ..can't remember the letter designation for Hungary.
    :wiggle:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013