GUN Tell me about polytech AKs

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jefferson Darcy, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

anyone have one? I'm thinking about picking up a Legend (expensive) or one of the cheaper (but still expensive) stamped ones.... supposed to be the best semi auto AKs ever imported.

2. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

Chinese milled AK's are great if you can find an affordable one. I just can't bring myself to get one as I know it'd end up a safe queen and my SAR would still get all the 7.62x39 mileage. It just seems like there's something wrong with spending ~1k on an AK47 :wavey:

3. kill_turu_kill

kill_turu_kill Turu the Terrible OT Supporter

Will the expiration of the AWB bring back polytech AK's?

4. Clingman

5. 900stunna

900stunna Guest

Legends are possibly the best Ak you will ever find, but stay away from BWest Poly's, the reciever destroys itself after only a couple thousand rounds.

6. Jefferson Darcy

7. Jefferson Darcy

its the closest thing to a true AK-47 type III ever imported into the US. The only real differences are the fact that its semi auto, and the spring loaded firing pin.

the Bwest polys are only stamped reciever models (AKM's). The Bwest reciever is made in teh US and is a POS. All Legends are made in china, and imported by Kengs Firearm Specialty (KFS). From what I understand the stamped polys with the made in china recievers imported by Kengs are great rifles too. I contaced Kengs, mine was imported on 12/23/88 and at that time it went for $375. I paid $1100 and thats a good price, considering its one of the only AKs which will continue to go up in price signifigantly.

Anyway, there are plenty of AKs out there that are as good as the Legend for less money. For instance, the Arsenal inc SAM-7 classic is another great copy of a Type III. It is "post ban" tho and it has a welded on muzzle nut and no bayonet. But also a beautiful rifle... and it was also a limited edition.

Gunsmith builds from places like AK-USA, Ohio Rapid Fire, INvestment Grade Firearms etc. are also great, functionally, and fit and finish, jsut as good as a Poly. I will definatly have at least one underfolder built by one of them, and an AK-74 at some point.

But the thing about a Poly, is that unlike a gunsmith build, built by someone who does it because he is a gun enthusiast and craftsman, a polytech was built in the same factories in China that build the real AKs for the Chinese People's Liberation Army. It was built by next to slave labor. My Polytech was not built by a gunsmith who chooses to build them because likes and admires the AK, it was built by some poor chinese kid (who's probably older than me now) who had no choice but to work in a sweatshop and build AKs to feed his family. He didnt do a good job making it becase it was a craftsman who took pride in his work, he did because he feared what would happen if he didnt.

Its the human suffering aspect that makes a Polytech so special
    :bigthumb: :rofl:

8. Clingman

NICE. That's a keeper.

9. 900stunna

900stunna Guest

Excellent post!