tell me about owning a 993

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by BlackWRX02, Jan 15, 2007.

1. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

I've got the Porsche bug badly.
    I know of the SAI issues, but what else am I looking at here.
    Looking for an S, manual of course, black/black or possibly guards red :o

seen them on the trader for 30s, does this seem reasonable for one with decently low miles? :dunno:

2. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I hope you make a lot of moneyz

3. BLACKMKIV

BLACKMKIV New Member

Hope you do your own maintenance because a 993 will suck you dry in that area. I remember my friends dad used to take his in to the dealer, every time it was like a 3-4 grand bill for routine shit. I think they hold like some ridiculous about of oil, like 12 quarts. So just a oil change will cost you ALOT. Thats only the begining. Like I said if you can do it all yourself though you will save but still expensive to own.

4. m3m750

m3m750 Kickin' it old school

They are the last of the air/oil cooled 911s, so yes, huge capacity. On the upside, that capacity means you don't have to change it as often. Not sure on the 993, but on my '86 911, the oil change interval (on good old fashioned dinosaur oil) is 15k miles. I take it in once a year (about 5k miles) and have them do a 15k service (basically a valve job, oil change and safety check) plus recharge the AC, which totals around $600. A 993 is old enough that you're probably not going to take it to the dealer for maintenance. Find a reliabe independent Porsche mechanic in you area and get a rough idea on maintenance and things to look for in a purchase. PPI is a must. Check the rennlist forums for more info.

5. R6EXTERRA

R6EXTERRA New Member

you will never buy an S model in the 30's unless it has huge miles, like over 200.

High mileage C2S or C4S's go for low 40's, nice shaped ones go for high 40's in the 50's

Good luck.

6. R6EXTERRA

R6EXTERRA New Member

993's are varioram, there is no need to adjust the valves. You have to worry about valve guide wear. SAI and engine leaks.

Get a compression test on the car as well.

These cars are not that much more than regular vehicles to fix, if you join the rennlist forum, there is a world of knowledge and they will help you locate parts at decent prices. Just buy a manual and do most of the work yourself.

Let the professionals do the larger scaled jobs that you are not able to do.

I had an 89 911 carrera 4, gone. I just bought a 91 911 carrera 2 with 37k miles, its going in to get a TPC supercharger this summer and a factory widebody over the winter with 19" cargraphic wheels with a crazy rear lip, 9" front and 11" rear.

Can't wait, it should be delivered in a few weeks.

7. austincabot

austincabot New Member

Hope you don't plan on doing a lot of city driving. The clutch is a bitch. Well, at least it is in my dad's '84. I'm sure its a little softer now and it has power steering, and power brakes, cause his is a bitch to drive.

8. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Maintenance is the biggest thing on Porsches. You have to watch for the above problems and budget for 12qt oil changes. I would change the oil every 5k as it is an air-cooled Porsche's life blood. You sir have named my dream car!