Tell me about older VFRs v. sorta n00b

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by eighteen_psi, Aug 30, 2006.

1. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Been lookin around my first street bike for a while (back burner since I just moved and started a new job recently). I've got off-road experience and know my way around bikes but don't have any formal on-road experience to speak of...yet. I'm eyeing an 86 VFR 700 on the cheep (newer VFRs seem to be about my ideal eventual bike). Its a bit more power than I'd been considering but I hear they're pretty forgiving?

I'm told they're tough motors, and I know they sound awesome. Anything to look out for when checking the bike out? (this weekend) Should I be smacked for considering a 100hp bike for my first street ride :hs:

Thoughts?

2. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

I've never ridden a VFR, but I really don't think you'll have much problems with a bigger bike if you've got some riding experience. I remember when I first got my bike it was a 250 Ninja and it was 'fast' for like 2 weeks and then I was so sick of it :o

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Don't know much about ones that old, know a few people with early 90's to new ones, I know a guy with a mid 90's model with about 150k on the clock, went through a couple starters and stuff but engine itself 0 problems. You'll probably do fine on it, I dont think the 86's make a 100hp the early 800 miles were only making a little over 100rwhp.