GUN Tell me about guns

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Robb, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

Im going to be turning 21 next month, and im going to be purchasing my first handgun, a P99, i have already got my Illinois Foid card. Im wondering about the triggers i keep rreading about. for instance, what are the diff's between single, DOA and theres another one i cant think of right now. Also, what is the best ammo for self-defense in the 9mm, hydrashock? also, what are +p and + rounds? Thanks, ill prolly have more ?'s later.

2. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Single action: you pull the hammer back manually, then you pull the trigger to release it
    Double action: you pull the hammer and release it through one pull of the trigger.

+p and +p+ are higher preassure loads for self defense.

3. Robb

Robb Guest

okay, also what is Quick Action

4. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Speer seem to work really well out of the P99s. If you do get one, make sure your first 300 rounds or so are with 124 grain or high rounds. If you are thinking of getting a DAO, think about getting the Quick Action instead. I think you will like it better.

Using hot loads in a gun is just asking for trouble should you have to use them, but if you feel the need, the P99 can take them.

5. Platinum_Thunder

QA is pretty much a DAO with a lighter pull..7lbs I think and the DAO is like 9lbs

6. Balthazar

Balthazar Guest

You dont know the difference between single and DA and youre buying a gun? Heres the problem with this board. I like to rock climb, and in rock climbing the newest and most inexperience climbers tend to be what we call gearheads. A gearheads favorite thing to do is obsess over which cam is better and what kind of harness he should have and so on and so forth. In other words, they focus all of their attention on comparing equipment, rather than what they should have their minds on, which is, rock climbing. What am I trying to say. Learn the basics. Why do you need a gun? Do you need to be able to kill someone? Thats what guns are for, make sure you have that set in your mind. What kind of ammo do you need? Triggers? Who the f*ckity f*ck cares. Find a gun that fits you, then go to the range and put a bunch of rounds through it. Get the drawing and shooting down cold. Whats the best ammo for self defense? The kind that hits the target.

7. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i disagree. it is never a bad thing to know about the gear, so long as you also know the fundamentals. the two are not mutually exclusive, so you can learn both. you don't necessarily need to be able to kill someone to enjoy firearm ownership, but you DO need to understand the immense responsibility that firearm ownership entails. triggers make a difference. if you have to yank a double action trigger, in the heat of things, you might miss the target. likewise, if you have a really light match trigger, you might yank it anyways and shoot too soon. i'd be comfortable with something like a "quick action" or LDA (light double action), but i prefer either a single action pull, or the pull of a glock trigger. consistency in trigger pull is another thing. if you get a crappy one that starts hard and finishes soft, or vice versa, it could throw things out of whack.

the point of the whole thing is that if you ever do have to use it, things are going to be happening fast. you want to give yourself every advantage and margin of error possible. anything you can do to help, well, helps.

thus, using the best self-defense loads makes a difference. i agree that being able to hit the target is the primary thing, because without that, no round will be effective. but, in the heat of things, you are not going to be shooting at a stationary target from a stationary position in your normal shooting stance. you will not be calm. your body will be on GO! mode, as will your mind. any assistance you can give yourself in the terminal ballistics area helps. the difference between crappy ammo and good defense loads is that if you use either one and hit dead on in the head, or the perfect spot in the torso, both will work fine. but, if you start getting away from the most perfect shot in the world the defense loads are going to work MUCH better than just straight up ball ammo. once again, being able to hit the target and using defense loads are not mutually exclusive. you can do both. and it doesn't hurt to do so.

8. footratfunkface

good defense loads will vary by caliber. i can give you a few if you tell me what caliber you're looking at. hydrashoks would not be at the top of any of my lists in any caliber.

9. Balthazar

Balthazar Guest

i disagree. it is never a bad thing to know about the gear, so long as you also know the fundamentals. the two are not mutually exclusive, so you can learn both.

I agree, knowledge of the tools of a craft is important, in fact neccessary for mastery of a skill, but dont you think the inexperienced tent to focus too much on tools?

you don't necessarily need to be able to kill someone to enjoy firearm ownership, but you DO need to understand the immense responsibility that firearm ownership entails.

Again, I agree. But what is his purpose for getting the gun? His post led me to believe it was for defensive purposes. Shouldnt he be more interested in achieving that goal?

10. footratfunkface

yes, on both accounts. but don't discourage learning in ANY area of firearms. merely shift or encourage it more in another area.

11. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

:bowdown:

Seriously.

12. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

The "legal reason" is as follows:

When you shoot THROUGH the person you're aiming at, and kill the 10 year old child behind that person, you're going to wish you hadn't used 9mm +P+.

13. Platinum_Thunder

+p and +p+ is just not a good idea IMHO

14. footratfunkface

anything that penetrates more than about 18 inches might not be a good thing to use. most of the time, that means that the round is not properly expanding. however, this penetration is not limited to higher pressured rounds. FMJ's and shitty HP's do it, regardless of chamber pressures. if you use the proper ammo, for example, Speer 124 gr. +P Gold Dots or Winchester 127 gr. +P+ Ranger SXT (RA9SXTP), you will not be likely to encounter over penetration. through clothing and skin, you're going to see a pretty large drop in velocity, and after hitting flesh and bone and expanding, you're not likely to see an exit wound unless you hit a really skinny bastard, or miss central mass.

there are other rounds that perform about as well as the two i just mentioned if you're going to be a paranoid freak: Winchester Ranger SXT in 147 gr. (RA9SXT), and Speer 147 gr. GDHP. both give the proper penetration, and work very well on both clothed and bare flesh.

edited to change optimal penetration, after doing some research on the matter.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  15. Balthazar

Balthazar Guest

Perhaps you could site/link to some sources

16. footratfunkface

www.ammolab.com

http://www.firearmstactical.com/wound.htm

this quote is from the first article on the second link:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  17. Balthazar

Balthazar Guest

Pay attention Robb, this is very important.