A&P Tell me about dslr lenses

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Apothis, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Apothis

Apothis New Member

It's been about 13yrs since my photography class in school and I don't know shit about lenses. Not much useful shit anyway. I don't own a dslr but want to someday when I can afford it. I'm interested in the new Canon XTi or whatever is out by the time I can afford something. I hear people say how kit lenses suck. I don't know how much this is true, or if I would feel he same. It's likely that with my noobishness it would seem just fine to me.

But if I were to get a body-only cam and get a lens separately, what would I want to get? The first "subjects" I'd want to focus on would be people. Outdoors/environments would be secondary to that. I don't see myself getting tons of lenses, but I could probably see ending up with two or so. But my first non-kit lens would be for portraits and such. So if the kit isn't so good, what would be better but still affordable?

My understanding of mm ranges is limited. I understand that with xx-xx zoom lenses, the greater the difference between mm, the longer zoom. But then I read that fixed mm "prime" lenses are better. Can those still zoom? Are external lenses able to use a camera's auto-focus or does it have to be done manually (rings)? Both? I don't expect to ever be an expert on the subject, but I would like if this was a bit less confusing.

:noes:

2. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

A good inexpensive prime lens is the 85mm f/1.8 for ~ $330 new. prime = 1 focal length so no zoom. Depending on your budget, though, there are other options if you want the flexibility of a zoom lens. The 24-105 f/4.0L IS is a decent all around lens with a wide focal range. I prefer using a wide angle lens with a telephoto lens. The budget shooter could go with a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and Canon 70-200 f/4.0. Someone with a bigger budget can go with the Canon 16-35 f/2.8L and the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L

yes, most lenses will be able to use the autofocus feature. there are some third party lenses that will be incompatible but if you stick with OE, it shouldn't be much of an issue until you factor in teleconverters.

3. ^

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

do you even have any?

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

the tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is a great choice if you end up going body only. good for portraits too, but don't expect extremely sharp images wide open.

the nikon 18-70 kit lens is a great lens! fast and quite sharp.

6. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

Yes, he has his own line of lenses.

7. WMB

WMB New Member

Remember to take into account crop factor. Multiply the stated mm by 1.6 to get your focal length. Depending on what you shoot this may be good or bad. I like it because it makes my 300 f4 L actually a 480mm.And my 16mm Russian fish eye can be used as a regular wide angle in many situations.

8. Are you my mother? Trying to keep an inventory of all my equipment? :ugh:

good luck :hay:

9. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

For what you described the Tamron 28-75 2.8 is a great choice.

10. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

i got you good you fucker.

/farva