Tell me about DOMS

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by fatmoocow, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Pretty much no matter what I do I get pretty severe delayed muscle soreness. Usually next day isn't too bad, third day is pretty bad, fourth day sucks my balls.

Perhaps my lifting consistency is to blame. Do suggest just powering through it. I get it even when my intensity isn't that high.

I did insane cycling class with intervals and shit for an hour and I was only sore a couple of days. I did 5x5 bench at a weight I could easily do 10-12 reps at and I'm worthless for 5 days.

Does sleep have an effect, obviously diet has some effect, but my diet isn't that terrible.

I think I'll just try powering through to see what happens. I've been avoiding working the same muscles when they are fairly sore.

2. ReFreshing

ReFreshing OT Supporter

Drink water and go consistently. I work out despite soreness. Doesn't really affect my workouts.

3. Mr. Pelham

Mr. Pelham Guest

make sure you're stretching properly too. Usually stretch a good 10 minutes following the workout will help.

4. big sky guy

big sky guy New Member

fmc- it can help to do a really light workout for the sore bodypart on day 2-3 after the heavy workout. It will get some blood and stretching to the area and help with recovery.

My wife runs a lot and will do recovery runs, a short 2-3 mile run, a day or 2 after a long run of 10-12 miles. (Yes- she is a running nut like that :) )

5. Ribbie

Ribbie OT Supporter

- Pre/Post workout stretching is vital.... especially if you're overweight and out of shape to begin with.

- Water. 3-4L a day.... minimum

- Glutamine. If you aren't taking it, you should be.

- Sleep! Get enough of it!

6. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

:coolugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.