MIL Tell me about being a Corpsman

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sirc, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

Tell me about being a corpsman. I can't find any objective things on it. Since I was young, I was always kind of wanted to pursue the medical field as it satiated my superhero complex, but never my puzzle solving complex.

Most of my family is in the medical or medical related field. My dad runs a free clinic, my aunt is the RN there, my mom works as a LCSW and Social worker over there. My uncle does the billing. My extended family owns the shopping center and has stock in the clinic. My aunt and uncles have gone through there as residents or worked as doctors over there.

I've always been interested. What's it like? What do I have to do? Is it a good idea? I was thinking of joining the Naval Reserves and doing the Corpsman recruit thingy. What's the ups? What's the downs? Should I be worried about anything? What should I ask the recruiter so he doesn't fuck me?

Oh give me your wisdom.

Also, tell me about SARC.

2. endemicW

endemicW fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu OT Supporter

i got some buddies in school with me who are recon corpsman. All cool dudes. Just be ready to swim/drown a lot.

3. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

It doesn't sound like he wants to get into firefights and patch up severed limbs on a battlefield. Just saying...don't freak him out.

Advancement is decent, but HM is a huge rating. There are a lot of NEC's (Navy Enlisted Classifications) that you can get. Independent duty, X-Ray tech, special operations, etc. It's rewarding if you love medical stuff. If you get on a ship you'll be responsible for training the crew in CPR and basic first aid, things like that.

4. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Yea I don't know where dmcgill got advancement is decent. If you go HM prepare to be an E4 for quite some time.

5. endemicW

endemicW fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu OT Supporter

asked about SARC :cool:

6. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

The cream always rises, gentlemen. And there are worse ratings for advancement, but I should have double-checked before I wrote that.

It is pretty fucking bad right now.

7. docdencio

docdencio New Member

Making rank in the corpsman field is not that bad. I made E6 in 8. It really depends on your study habits, and also if you come in as an E3 (this really helps).

IF you are to join now, prepare to deploy with a FMF unit (Marines). I have deployed three times in the last 4 years, just to give you some basis.

Like they say, choose your rate, choose your fate: PM me if you have any specific questions. I have done both the blue (sea going) and green (FMF) side.

8. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

No, not for HM. And since you can make E5 in < 2 years with a lot of rates, "planning" on making E5 one day because the "cream always rises" is a shitty situation to put yourself in. No one wants to be an E4 with 7 years in.

9. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Would an HM's education translate later on into a field like nursing? Or is it more like being a paramedic?

10. Scrooge McDuck

Scrooge McDuck OT Supporter

you would only be an EMT

11. limestoner

limestoner New Member

yeah if it's anything like the army's 68w mos, you'll be emt-b certified..i got extremely lucky and my unit sent me to paramedic school, and emt-tactical.

12. Scrooge McDuck

holy shit you lucked out :eek3:

13. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

We sponsored a bunch of guys from our local unit to go from EMT-B to EMT-I. Getting your EMT-P was pretty nice. I've heard that nursing is the better bet from here on out rather than your CC...especially if you want flight medic.

Good luck.

14. Ozmar

Ozmar New Member

The thing with corpsmen is they can often end up serving in Marine units. The funny part about that is they wear the Marine uniforms with Navy rank structure, they are attached to Marine units, and for all intents and purposes they are Navy in name only.

The Corpsmen who serve with Marines have to somewhat integrate themselves into the Marine lifestyle. They often go through the same rigorous training, obviously get deployed along with the Marines, and they have to go on missions with platoons (although often corpsmen are only allowed to carry a pistol).

The thing you should remember if you become a corpsman is that there's always the off chance you will be attached to a Marine unit.

15. FromHeroToZero

FromHeroToZero New Member

I thought corpsmen got to pick green side or blue side.....

16. Ozmar

Ozmar New Member

Not sure. I'm not a corpsman. You may be right.

17. Scrooge McDuck

you have to volunteer to be a fleet Marine corpsman. and you carry much more than a pistol

18. Ozmar

Ozmar New Member

not suppose to

19. Scrooge McDuck

we also arent supposed to use white phosphorous 203 grenades or shotguns against people but we do all the time anyway.

20. Ozmar

Ozmar New Member

Hmm, Non judicial punishment or Court Martial?:rolleyes: