Tell me about 2004-2007 Toyota 4runners

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Dracord, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Dracord

Dracord Always late on title changes

Anything opinions welcome, these were my main questions

How's the V8? Gas Mileage? Towing?
    Trim - Heated seats/leather worth the upgrade to Limited?
    X-REAS Suspension worth it?
    Height Adjustable Rear Suspension?
    Any other options you think are necessary?

I was looking around to see if I could find a 2006 Sport or Limited with at least Side Curtain Airbags in Black. Customizing a 2007 is a little too expensive. I don't know anything about 2004-2005 4runners

2. dsvtec

dsvtec I have an LS3 AND an amazingly supple and flowing

I have a 2006 Sport V8 with some additional options. I have the JBL soundsystem (its ok, it was on the lot with it) that multi tier cargo thing and possibly a couple of more options.
    The V8 is smooth and the 5 speed auto is worth getting the 2006.
    I'm getting around 20 on the highway (I do speed) and around 16-17 around town. I have not towed with it yet, so I don't know.
    Personally I didn't think the upgrade was worth it for the Limited. The only thing to note is that if you want factory navigation you must get the limited.
    I have the X-REas suspension and it really drives very well on road with it. However, if you ever want to lift it, don't get it with the Xreas.
    I never use the dual stage cargo thing either...in the up position you can't put more than 30 pounds on it and I've never found a use for it.

3. Dracord

Thanks for your input! I'm not going to mod this so I might go with the X-REAs if I can find one with it. Got any pics of your 4runner?

What about 3rd row seats? I hear they are pretty cramped and you can't completely fold them away. Possibly worth it to tote around a couple more people for short rides?

4. 98R139

98R139 Active Member

I have a 2003 V8 Sport Edition when it first came out. It tows my 2,500lbs race car + 1,500lbs trailer + cargo full of tools and tires with no problem. :bigthumb: The newer ones have more power so it would be even better.

I test drove a Limited without XREAS and could tell the difference right away. That thing works. I didn't want leather so I went with the SE. Very happy with the car.

As for options, just the typical stuff like sunroof, JBL system, and spoiler.

5. dsvtec

I don't have pics here, but I think someone still has them hosted for me. I have a white SE with the stone (charcoal) interior. I also have a sunroof too.
    I didn't check out any with the 3rd row seats since I wasnt' interested in them so unfortunately I can't comment on them.
    I also did take it off road a couple of weeks after I bought it. It did pretty well on a really poor logging road. The only downside is that the stock dunlop tires are not good for offroad driving.
    There is some good informatin on t4r.org. The best is that you can get the limited's built in homelink from some dealers for only $75.

6. Dracord

Thanks for the t4r link, that forum is gold!

7. dsvtec

Here's a pic of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Cheeks

Cheeks New Member

Nice!

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I like em except for the useless center console, and recockulous HVAC controls.

10. cdoyle

cdoyle I finally changed this!

I have a Limited,
    The heated seats and leather look really nice, and seem to be well done. I have a 04 and everything still looks new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The millage between the V6 and the V8 is minimal according to all the members on TR4.org. I have the V8 and love it.

I also have the ride height, and I wouldn't go looking for it unless you tow. It basically just keeps the back end of the rig at a constant height as you go.
    If you find a Limited that has it, then you can just say you have it when you go and sell it later.

X-REAS tho is something you want especially if you're looking at a sport or limited.

Side airbags I guess depend on what region you're in. I got them in mine, but I heard in other regions it's impossible to find? Really weird.

Also the V8 changed in 05 to the higher horsepower. So if you can, find a 05.

Oh ya, just pass on the 3rd row seats.
    They take up too much room in the back.
    Plus if I remember right, you cant' get the moonroof if you get 3rd row.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  11. cdoyle

Oh ya,
    06's now come with projector headlights, and LED tail lights.

You might get a good deal on one of those, since the 07's are out now.

12. Dracord

:bigthumb: Thanks, I think I made up my mind. Now just to find a v8 4wd 06-07 limited or sport in black with X-REAS in the area.

13. cdoyle

post pics once you find one!

14. Dracord

cruddy pics, but an 07 sport with side air bags, satellite radio and jbl 10 speaker system
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. cdoyle

pic no worky!

can't wait to see it!
    You'll love you're new Runner. I've had mine for almost 3 years now, and still love it.

16. RubiconSahara

RubiconSahara OT Supporter

I'm in the market to buy one right now. I just had my truck totalled by someone that ran a red light. I test drove a v6 sport edition this past weekend and it was nice. I'd like to drive a v8, but they are hard to find around here. I used to have an 01 Jeep GC Limited V8 4x4 and loved it, the v6 in the 4R seems as peppy, so I'm curious how the V8 responds. I've been reading t4r.org and a few other sites for months and collecting pics I like. I'm interested in a lift and some other offroad effects.

17. cdoyle

Cool the pics are working now, very nice!!!
    I just love the new headlight design, I want to get those for mine and put some HIDs in it.

Nefarious77 The V8 is nice, when you step on it, it goes! Very strong motor.
    only drawback to it, is changing the oil. You have to remove the skidplate to get to the oil filter. No biggie, just makes changing the oil take a little longer.

18. RubiconSahara

RubiconSahara OT Supporter

Well I have changed directions and will be ordering an 07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in the next week. The Rubicon is my plan, but numbers talk in the end. In any case, I'll end up with a JK.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ugh why???