tell me about 04 wrx

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ericj, Jan 24, 2008.

1. ericj

ericj raw deal

starting to look at these anyone have experience with them? i like the 04 body style better than the bugeye but its not a crucial issue. im looking at around 50k miles and price at around 15k. are these cars reliable and expensive to repair? last car was an audi s4 i dont think any car in the world could be less reliable than that piece of shit

2. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

www.clubwrx.net
    www.nasioc.com

Subaru makes a great car. The only weak point on the WRX is the tranny, so you'll want to try to figure out how hard its been driven. You might also want to look for a used 2006 (not sure what you budget is like), they have the 2.5L engine rather than the 2.0L thats in the previous WRXs.

Something else to consider, you can pick up a brand new Impreza 2.5i (non-turbo WRX basically) for $17k. I've heard they are about as quick as the previous 2.0L WRXs.

3. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

4. ericj

ericj raw deal

thanks!

5. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

no problem dude :wavey:

6. ecofire

ecofire Member

They are the best thing you can buy in my opinion, but I am a subaru freak. Have fun changing your spark plugs when the time comes though.

7. darksands

darksands New Member

Spark plugs are easy... Green brackets of death are a pain.

8. Anudist

Anudist Turnin' Jesus on, one lightswitch at a time.

Fucking :werd: when I had my injectors flow tested and cleaned, I just about /myself while working with those things.

On topic here, the '04 WRX is a great car. As stated above the weak point is the tranny. The second and third gear is the most commonly stripped, but it usually isn't a problem if you actually know how to drive the damn thing.

The engines are reliable, and power can be boosted reliably as well. Mods can be expensive, but you can also save money by buying used parts, there's nothing ever wrong with that. I haven't owned a car that was easier to work on than my '02 WRX, my '06 is pretty easy too, but the engine is a bit wider due to the bigger motor so it kind of makes the spark plugs a bitch to do. Everything else is cake.

I'd be happy to answer any questions, if I can that is. I'm by no means the know it all of Subaru...

9. Anudist

I got to a point on my '02 where I could have all 4 spark plugs done in about 10 minutes. They're easy if you know how to do it.

10. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

plus, as you can see, the subaru community is awesome :h5:

11. ericj

ericj raw deal

yea thanks for all the tips guys. :bowdown: i'll keep you posted

12. tjamz

tjamz New Member

QFT!!!

13. ecofire

ecofire Member

Let me know how you do it. I went to the dealer and they told me that I had to lift the motor up to change them on my 02 wrx because they go in the top of the heads and you can't get a ratchet in there because of the fact that it is a boxer motor. I'd appreciate the help because I think mine is way past due for some new plugs.

14. tjamz

tjamz New Member

10 mins sounds right. You need the right length extension for your socket and the right ratchet...and maybe a swivel...(I forget, its been a few months)... and viola! Plugs are changed.

15. ecofire

ecofire Member

How do you get to them on the DOHC motor though? That's my problem, I can't find them.

16. tjamz

tjamz New Member

2 are on the left side of the motor, 2 are on the right side of the motor. There are no plug wires, as they are individual coil packs.

17. Anudist

Sorry didn't look into here until just now.

You have to have a swivel joint, a 6 inch swivel extension and the right socket. The windshield washer fluid resevoir on the 02-05's are in the way, just undo the two bolts holding that in place and move it aside, undo the coil packs and change the sparkplugs, the passenger side you'll probably want to move the snorkel out of the way. Once you do it enough, you'll figure it out.

18. Anudist

The coil pack are right on top of the spark plugs, undo the 10mm bolt holding them to the valve covers and they're right underneath, you can't see them from outside of the car though.

19. pojoWRX

pojoWRX comics, indie hip-hop, home theater, Subie and dad

i have an 04 w/ 60K and love it

20. NomadicPants

NomadicPants Subaru > *

There is no way that the 06 and up 2.5i's are as fast as a 2.0L WRX. I own an 03 WRX, and my mom drives an 07 2.5i, and whenever I come home from school and drive it, its so much slower than my car.

21. Anudist

No they're not, in the 1/4 mile they'd be 1-1.5 seconds slower than the 2.0 WRX. The 2.5L WRX is barely quicker than the 2.0L WRX, it jus has more torque and quicker spool with the turbo due to the increased engine displacement and AVCS.

22. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

im thinking he meant the 06 WRX with the 2.5L engine is quicker than the bugeye & blobeye body styles as they have the 2.0L.

I would definitely look at an 06 vs. the 04/05 unless you prefer the 04/05 body style. the 06 has some improvements over the previous gen and if I could remember the article I read on it a couple years ago, i'd post what they were. I knew one of them was a very capable engine that isn't tuned for its true HP potential, which can be fixed very easily with a TBE and a tune.

23. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

ya, i retract that statement. I had heard someone say that as a meet in passing and figured it might be true. The 2.5L n/a (2006) is putting out 173hp whereas the 2.0L Turbo (2005) is at 227hp.

So scratch that idea. The OP should definitely look at used 06 WRXs though as they are definitely quiker than their previous year brethren.

24. TacoOverlord

TacoOverlord OT Supporter

do eet, subies are buckets of fun. Love the way they carve up the back roads, but can still be made quick in the straights as well.

25. ridah626

ridah626 OT Supporter

only problems ive heard from it is the tranny gives out. other than that nothing bad that ive heard.