SRS Teh GF reports she's getting panic attacks

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by IStandalone, Mar 21, 2007.

1. IStandalone

IStandalone EssentialDucati

But that's my job:o She's the rock in our relationship, what are some other methods excluding meds and therapy I can suggest to her:dunno:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  2. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Is she aware of what a panic attack really is?

Does she just mean she's getting nervous? What circumstances is this under? And has she made a doctor's appointment about it?

3. IStandalone

She knows what they are... i've been having them for sometime now:o She's in the early stages of depression and I don't know if I can actually help her, i'm still trying to help myself.

4. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

You can't help her, see needs to see a therapist.

5. IStandalone

Hey long time no talk, I spoke with her today and she said she had a mild panic attack and after writing down things on a pro's and con's list (she's super organizational) tole me she felt soo much better. She did say she had a panic attack though and I told her i'd send some xanax just in case. If it were any other person i'd tell her to get some help, but she's completely capable of stopping the depression herself (I know that's hard to believe). BTW- check yo PM's girl

6. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Please don't take medications into your own hands. You don't know what to do with them and you don't know of various contraindications that go along with them. Benzodiazepines can be dangerous. Just go see a therapist and find out if you need medication at all.

Can you describe what her panic attacks look/feel like?

7. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I get panic attacks, luckily haven't in front of my SO though. If you are asking what to do when she has them (and you are not around) I'd say tell her to see someone about possible medication. If you are asking what to do is she has one in front of you you just have to be supportive, tell her to breathe, and say encouraging things.

8. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

The best thing to do like everyone else said is make her or I should say tell her kindly that she needs to see someone about this and possible get some medication.

9. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Fucking :werd: worst thing you can do is just hand her meds.

10. Midgetized

I always thought it was funny that people think it's so dangerous to do that. If you see a doctor they'll talk to you for a few minutes and then hand you the same pills. It's not rocket science. A quick google search would tell her if anything she's taking now would have a bad interaction with it. People take benzos recreationally all the time so taking 1 when she actually needs it isn't gonna kill her.

11. teo

teo . => ? => !

Then why does it take several years to get a medical degree? Why would anyone go to the doctor at all - why not just research your symptoms online and cut out the middle man? Don't get me wrong - I'm not the type to advocate running to the doctor at the first hint of a sniffle, but if you're at the point where you're considering self-medication with a prescription drug, that's the point at which you should be talking to the professionals.

Doctors aren't just assessing possible drug interactions when they talk to you about treatment for an illness. They're also trained to spot symptoms for a whole host of problems you don't even know about, some of which will appear the same to the untrained eye but could signal vastly different things 'under the hood' to an experienced professional. They know exactly what a certain drug will do to your body on a chemical level, and in so knowing can offer someone the best medication to target an illness. That medication may not be the best medication for someone else because of age, fitness level, genetic predisposition, family history, medical history, allergies, environment and even geographic location (current and past)... and that's not even including drug interactions. A dosage that will barely impact one person could kill someone else under certain circumstances. I'd certainly rather go to a doctor and get medication from them knowing that they know illnesses and medications and can interpret my history from the medical perspective better than any of my friends could.

I certainly wouldn't want to give any of my friends medicine I was prescribed. It'd be a heavy weight to bear should my actions injure or kill them, and I love them too much to take that chance.

To the OP: Whether she can will herself out of depression or not, she should still talk to someone who can assess her situation. Depression - even intermittent depression - can be a harbinger of other issues, and she'd be doing herself a disservice (at best!) to ignore this fact. Not all treatments involve medication, either.

12. IStandalone

Actually i've been into benzo's for more years than I can count:o It's not that i'm prescribing her 10mg a day of xanax until she's a zombie. I just told her if they keep increasing i'd send her some .25 xannies. She's completely drug free and I know at such a amall dose and with me telling her to take them only when she feels it's completely necessary, she'll be fine. She's already working through her problems and has started to feel better (i'm a good listener :blush: ).

13. IStandalone

Thank you for being rational:wavey:

14. IStandalone

BTW- I appreciate everybody's help, I don't mean to come off as a know-it-all by any means. I was looking to see if there was anything other than traditional methods to try, I should re-do my thread/title to state that:o

15. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Except, you have no idea how to dose for panic disorder. There is a very distinct difference between dosing for panic attacks and simple anxiety disorders. Panic attacks require much higher levels of benzos (such as xanax), and are only indicated for short term use. You won't see any (or very little) effect with .25mg doses on the panic attacks. Additonally, at the much higher levels used, the risk obviously becomes greater. Benzos are very addictive, even in the short-term, and combined with CNS depressants can be deadly. All these factors are compounded when you are dealing with someone who is not desensitized to the GABA agonists.

edit: You don't know what the fuck you're doing, so don't.

edit pt 2: If you choose to use the higher dose to treat the panic attacks, be aware that abrupt cessation of benzodiazepine use has been associated with life-threatening seizures, especially when used as indicated for short-term treatment of panic.

16. IStandalone

Lol, thank you for nothing. When I started getting panic attacks they prescribed me .25mg's of xanax 3 times a day (or when I needed them). So please tell me how my licensed Psychiatrist was wrong and you're right? BTW- Migitized was the only one who got the I wasn't trying to dope my GF on benzo's.

Oh yeah and... you don't know what the fuck your talking about so don't diss people in my thread with rational thoughs:nono:

My apologies man, we're all here trying to help and I know you're doing the same:bowdown: BTW- what's your training when it comes to benzo's and such?

17. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Alright, I won't argue with you. Give your girl some xanax and hope she doesn't have a seizure. Good luck, buddy. By the way, I do know what the fuck I'm talking about considering I've been studying psychiatric medication both independently and with my internship for the past 4-5 years.

Edit: just noticed your edit, sorry

I'm just concerned, is all. As a pre-med student who has been studying psychology/psychiatry intensely for 4-5 years and having a family of doctors/dentists/nurses, I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to administering medication. It really does just worry me, because very few people have a grasp on the full effects of medications, and what works for one person doesn't always work for everyone. Some medications can have a severe or possibly deadly effect in certain people. I would just hate to see you have to explain to her parents why their girl had a seizure...
    In the end, you're probably right...she shouldn't have a problem taking a small dose of xanax. However, I would hate to tell you to just go ahead and do it. It's always better to have a professional with a proper patient history and true knowledge of medication to help you out.

18. IStandalone

No worrys man, check you PM's. I studied Psych at GMU and am well versed in benzo's and other shit. And I completely agree about the seizures, I have had them in the past (12-18ms aday will do that) i'm not bragging at all, I know I have problems (i'm down to short bursts of maybe 3mg's a day and not everyday. Been on and off for the last (too long to count) and have alomost died on quite a few occassions. With my psych backround and realworld experiance I really do know the chemical break up and how the brain/body copes with different benzos. Like I said before thanks for the advice, even if it didn't seem like I was taking it in:bigthumb:

19. babar

babar Active Member

i get panic attacks every now and then....the best way to handle them is to force yourself to have a panic attack. now, this doesn't mean u wont feel the initial 'feeling' of the panic attack, but once u feel it happening, you can calm down very easily, and tell ur body that 'its okay'.

they say that most people that have panic attacks can force themselves to have one voluntarily. i can....so basically do it once a day for a few days, and you'll be able to adapt to that 'feeling' and it wont become a huge probelm in the future.

20. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

PM reply buddy :wavey:

21. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

That's actually (kind of) a very well-known therapy for panic attacks. Many people who start panicking from real-world events eventually move on to panic attacks induced by the idea that they could have another panic attack. It's a vicious cycle that is very difficult to break. By teaching the patient that certain biological functions (like a stomach ache or dizziness) are completely normal and not indicative of an oncoming panic attack, you can actually help them control these feelings.

22. Midgetized

Yeah I wasn't saying that he should act like he's her therapist and get her on a set dosage of the stuff. But giving her a couple for when she's having a really bad day isn't gonna hurt her.

23. Midgetized

How did she end up with you then? :o :p

24. IStandalone

I showed up on her doorstep after a weekend of doing 6-7 balls of blow (there were 3 of us) and being alone watching Pet Cemetary (my friends went into DC to score some rock and left me crooked). I thought to myself "hey I better take some little circle thingys to level me out since i'm out of blow" so like the genius I am I had this chick I know drop me off at her house at 5 in the morning (my girl and I knew each other a month). She kindly took me in and even though she knew I was a lost cause she loved me anyway and has been my protector ever since. She's the reason i'm still here and even though it sounds more like a mother taking care of a child it's really not. We've been together 8yrs and i've taken care of her for 99% of that time:) But she's the only one who can talk me off the edge when I lose my mind and i'm grateful for everyday of my life:bowdown:

25. Midgetized

Aww :love: