MIL teh army wants me as an intelligence officer

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Off, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Off

Off Memento Mori

lol, I guess my advisor didnt catch that I wasnt planning to finish my degree. I told him I had an interest in human intelligence and counter-intelligence. I told him I only spoke french and english but he said I could start taking arabic or farsi and that they would pay for those courses. Ive lived in a lot of different places which he said was an asset for this position.

Anyways its not going to happen because you need to have a degree, which im not doing, I told him that. Then he mentionned the Intelligence operator position, which sounds kinda cool, anyone know what they do? Is it like an analyst position? My first choice was infantryman but he said I was over-qualified relative to the pool of applicants, but that I could still choose that if I wanted, he also mentionned further testing :noes:

He also said that all intelligence operators are deployed and most do several tours :noes:

2. Fearan

Fearan Guest

I wanted to apply as Int Officer, but ended up trying to comission as an Infantry officer at my current regiment. I'm guessing it's 4 Int that contacted you? There's no one who's over-qualified for Infantry btw, recruiters will tell you anything. It's a fun job.

Int ops do all the gathering of intelligence. Different types like Humint, Sigint, etc. Human intelligence goes around towns gathering information that is then analysed by the officers.

If you have any questions, let me know. :)

3. Fearan

Fearan Guest

You have no prior mil exp, right? It's really weird that they asked you to be Int Officer, usually you need at least 4+ years of Combat Arms experience to be considered.

4. Off

Off Memento Mori

Entry Plans

Most candidates are selected from the Officer Occupational Transfer Program (OT), University Training Plan Non-Commissioned Members (UTPNCM), Special Commissioning Plan (SCP), and Commissioning from the Ranks (CFR). Applicants from the following programs may also be accepted:

Direct Entry Officer – DEO applicants must hold a Master degree from an accredited Canadian university, preferably in one of the areas of study listed under “Qualification Requirements”. Proficiency in some foreign languages may be an asset.

Component Transfer – Applicants who are re-enrolling or transferring from the Reserve can be accepted through Component Transfer.

Regular Officer Training Plan – ROTP consists of a full undergraduate education at the Royal Military College of Canada in one of the preferred Studies above, immediately followed by at least three years of obligatory service in the Regular component of the CF. To qualify for ROTP, you must have completed high school with appropriate university-oriented credits, or be in Grade 12 in an appropriate program with full expectation of successful completion.

:dunno:

5. Off

Off Memento Mori

Yea, my dad had his masters before he served as an infantryman :bowdown:

that sounds awesome, but if I do choose that im 100% sure to be deployed, probably to Afghanistan, right?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  6. Fearan

Fearan Guest

For most trades all of these apply, but Int Officer is different. They usually don't take people off the street and put them as int officers. Unless you have a crazy academic record with related civilian experience, it's near impossible to go int officer, so I find it hard to understand. :dunno:

7. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Since you're going reg force, yes, as an Infantryman you're pretty damn sure to be deployed. If you don't want to be deployed, you need to join the reserves. :mamoru:

Actually pretty much any trade has the chance of deploying now.

And props to your dad. :bigthumb: I know a few guys with their master's, serving as non-coms. It really depends what you want to do. The Infantry are the tip of the spear, and you'll learn the sort of shit that other trades never will.

8. Fearan

Fearan Guest

What regmt you joining btw? PPCLI, RCR or R22E?

PPCLI for the win, and after all their recent deployments, they really need a lot of new guys right now.

PPCLI deployments: 4
    R22E: 1 :mamoru:

9. Off

Off Memento Mori

Do I get to choose? If so Princess Patricia's for sure. I just did the aptitude test, med and had an interview, so I dont really know.

10. Off

Off Memento Mori

That was under INT officer. I dont have a ''crazy'' academic record, but I went from an above average 78% in highschool to a 3.75 in uni (in FINA/econ mind you), which is a pretty good improvement. He told me I scored pretty well on the AT and mentioned if I had thought of it :dunno:

11. Fearan

Fearan Guest

You get to chose which regiment, but not which battalion. you could end up in Shilo or Edmonton.

12. RRTX

RRTX New Member

If the Canadian Army is anything like ours, officers in the HUMINT/CI fields don't have much of a job, enlisted and warrant officers do all the actual collection/field work.

13. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Pretty much the same. Enlisted do all the actual work in the CF, but our officers gather all the information and analyze it. The enlisted just filter out what's needed.

14. eter

eter New Member

Intelligence Officer != Intelligence Operator

15. eter

eter New Member

UTPNCM is for people who have 5+ years of experience as enlisted transfering to officer

16. eter

eter New Member

go in as infantry officer or infantryman. after 4-5 years, go to int officer either through UTPNCM if you went in as enlisted or through a VR if you were already in as an officer. UTPNCM is a pretty friggen sweet deel, seeing as you keep your enlisted pay while you study fulltime, but only the best get picked for that. Last year there was a guy on my course from the program - he had pretty much all the elite courses you can have in the army as well as two tours with the R22ER at the age of 21. You could still go for it though, since you don't seem to want to finish your degree now and enlisted life interests you as well.

17. Off

Off Memento Mori

I know, I guess he mentioned IO as a down the road thing. I only applied as Infantry and Intelligence operator, I qualified for both but am more interested in the latter. I do want to complete my degree, but after military service, so that plan sounds awesome, how do you qualify for it?

18. Off

Off Memento Mori

all we have is mercedes light armored trucks, it must be even more awesome taking cover behind those :bowdown:

19. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Actually right now we're using a lot of Nyalas outside the wire. Those things are indestructible. :coold:

20. eter

eter New Member

Anyone with 5+ years of service can apply but very few get chosen... you can actually apply after 4-4.5 years because it takes at least 6 months to get the paperwork moving from what I was told last summer by someone in that program. If you are picked, you get a free ride at a university of your choice (including Kingston military college) + your regular salary, and then you become an officer (for a few years mininum). I'm not sure if there is an actual plan for people who have left the military, but I'd bet there are some ressources available.

21. eter

eter New Member

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

22. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

You don't just "become an intel officer" you have to be assessed as one. :lol:
    Needs of the Army.