Teflon treatment on new car

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Evil_Jeanyus, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Evil_Jeanyus

Evil_Jeanyus That's it Ellen, cup the balls.

My father recently purchased a new car. It has some kind of teflon treatment, and you're not supposed to wax the car, and apparently it lasts for 8 years. Does anyone know any more about this, and what kind of cleaning products can be used?

TIA

2. mycoplasma

mycoplasma New Member

It's a dealer profit maker/ripoff product. Google "perma-plate" and you will learn a lot more on these kinds of product. It's basically a synthetic polymer sealant that has longer durability than traditional wax but it's definitely not going to last 8 years without maintenance and care. When your father bought the treatment, the dealer should have provided a car care kit (soap and refresher) to go with it.

3. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

If it's the same 3M sealer they put on my car then you don't need to wax as often but after 3 months you can do it, of course polishing will defeat it, no biggie.

I'd wax the car after 3-4 months just before winter.

4. Masta Z

Masta Z FUCK BOSTON

My dad forced my brother to get that done on the Z06. It was just a fuckin wax job and you needed to rewax after 3 months

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Is this something they applied at the dealership? If so, it's useless. Teflon can't be applied and used in the manner you described unless applied at extreme temperatures. Temperatures that would melt plastic and rubber right off the car.

6. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

That's what you think! Actually, there are new ways to use teflon. Anyway, it's just static holding it all on your car. :naughty:

7. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Van der Waal forces... but that holds all waxes on your car. Actually holds a lot of stuff together... I'm not positive but I'm not sure I'd consider it static holding it on your vehicle. From what I've learned about Van Der Waal forces the intermolecular attraction is based on the movement of the electrons around the nucleus, not because one atom has more electrons giving it an overall negative charge (or less giving it a postive charge). I'm not positive on this so anyone else who knows chemistry verify?

The new question though is there a new catalyst to get teflon to crosslink on the paint without the high temp?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2004
  8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Any dealer applied wax or sealant should be avoided not only because of the outrageous markup, but the fact that dealers seriously suck at waxing. Rotary holograms, dried wax in the crevices and emblems, etc.

9. RedGoober4Life

Would you happen to know a Corey Bit Spank and a Jesus8UrBaby, perhaps? :hs:

10. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Happen to know an intel? :wiggle:

11. Capi2001

Capi2001 New Member

This isnt just any dealership, and he is talking about a $170,000 car, im sure its not just some crappy dealership wax job

12. RedGoober4Life

:ugh: He's some loser that doesn't IM me after I IMed him that one time. :rofl: ;)

13. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I hate those people

14. RedGoober4Life

Yeah, want to know what his away message is? "Can't fix Stupid" :wtc:

15. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Hmm... He appears to be a genius..

16. Scottwax

I've detailed two Bentley Arnages that were sold through Overseas Importers and both had nasty rotary swirls in them. One of the Bentleys took almost six hours to get swirl free. The local BMW dealer sucks ass at waxing...rotary holograms all over and wax stuck everywhere.

I wouldn't let any dealership wax a car, no matter how high end they are.

17. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

No, that's what I know. :squint: Yes, there are new ways to use Teflon, but it still needs to be applied at high temperatures to be a viable product.

18. RedGoober4Life

Only when provoked by alcohol.

(oye, I didn't mean to just sign off yesterday. My cable modem bent its wookie :wtc: )

19. Chadder007

Chadder007 OG Diamond Member

My local BMW dealership is great at waxing. :)
    Though they did try to sell me that Teflon crap for $600

20. Scottwax

Look at your car in the sun in a few months and see if any rotary swirls pop up. Maybe you got lucky though and found a dealership that doesn't let their make-ready monkeys go nuts with wool pads and crappy wax. :x:

21. autoracer1

autoracer1 Rallyx postponed :wtc: Next one May 10.

Good luck.

I work at a nissan/infiniti dealer, and am almost ashamed to say I do deliveries on cars. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the job and the pressures by management, you dont really get much time per car, and all they really care about is clean and no damage/obvious scratching. You can only do so much, especially with the shitty car brite stuff we are forced to use.

I do still apply the things I have learned here and autopia, to a much lesser extent than on my car though. All the other people I work with, including half the detailers, have no clue what they are doing. Leave wash mitts on the ground, chamoixs on the ground, then use them on a dark car :sad2:

Most customers just care that it is clean though. Take my advice.. if you EVER buy a car, do yourself a favour and pick one that still has its white plastic wrap on, let the mechanic do the PDI (pre delivery inspection), then take it. 99% of people with my (temporary) occupation do not care, and will wash, dry, and orbital a crappy wax. Oh, theyll probably soak the car in degreaser first, and not wax below the lower half the doors/bumpers.

Also, I got into an argument with the head detailer about the teflon sealant thing. He was convinced the teflon worked, because the manufacturer said so :rofl: Costs $280 just for the paint sealant, and it sucks and does not hold up.

22. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

Suppose that shit needs to be the perfect temp. Or else its worthless. And as you could of guessed, most dealerships dont

23. Scottwax

600 degrees, according to Dupont.