GUN Teen gunman kills 16 in Germany

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paul Revere, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/03/11/germany.school.shooting/index.html

WINNENDEN, Germany (CNN) -- A gunman dressed in military gear killed 16 people Wednesday in a shooting spree in Germany before he was shot dead by police, police spokesman Rainer Kloeller told CNN.
    The body of a victim is covered with a blanket after the shooting at the Albertville Realschule.

Tim Kretschmer, 17, began his rampage at a school where he used to be a student in Winnenden, a small town about 20 kilometers (12 miles) northeast of Stuttgart, said KIoeller, of the police in the nearby town of Waiblingen.

"The suspect broke into the school. He went into the classroom and shot wildly around himself and left the building and fled on foot," Hans Ulrich Stuiber, another police spokesman, said.

Three teachers and ten students were killed at the Albertville-Realschule Winnenden, Roesch said. The shooting, which began around 9:30 a.m., lasted about two minutes, police said.

On his way out of the school, the gunman killed a person who was working in a hospital nearby, then hijacked a car, taking the driver hostage. Video More about the gunman's deadly route »

He drove to the nearby town of Wendlingen, kicking the hostage out of the vehicle on the way, Kloeller said.

He then killed two more people before being killed himself in a shootout with police, authorities said.

Kretschmer was on the loose for three and a half hours after the incident began, police said.

At least seven people were injured in the shootings -- five people in Winnenden and two police officers in Wendlingen -- police spokeswoman Renate Roesch added. She was unable to say how serious the injuries were. Video Watch more about the shootings »

Six teenagers from the from the school shooting were transported to the Waiblingen hospital with undisclosed injuries.

One of those patients has already been released from the hospital, according to a hospital spokeswoman. The families of the dead have been informed and are receiving counseling, Roesch said.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel is planning to make a statement about the incident later in the day, her office said.

About 1,000 students attend the school where the killings began. Map of the area »

Authorities sealed off the town of Winnenden and launched an intense manhunt for the gunman after the school shootings. Police said the man was about 1.80m (5'11") and heavily armed.

"It is a small town, an idyllic town," said Frank Nipkau, the editor in chief of Winnenden Zeitung newspaper. "The town people are devastated and they can't understand why this is happening in this town."

Security at German schools has been an issue in the past. Do you think the gun control issue is taken seriously enough?

In November 2006, an 18-year-old former student strapped explosives to his body and went on a rampage at a middle school in western Germany, shooting and wounding six people -- most of them students -- before killing himself.

In July 2003, a 16-year-old student shot a teacher before taking his own life at a school in the southern German town of Coburg.

A year earlier, 18 people were killed when an expelled student went on a shooting spree at his school in eastern Germany.

Another European country, Finland, is planning to toughen firearm laws after two school shootings there left 20 people dead. Those incidents occurred in November 2007 and September 2008.

Finnish news reports on Wednesday said an Interior Ministry working group has issued a proposal calling for age 20 as the minimum age for handgun ownership and 18 as the minimum for rifles. The proposal will be circulated among legislators.
    advertisement

"Under the proposal, a firearm license applicant would be required to provide a certificate from a shooting club instructor to certify that the applicant has practiced shooting at a gun club for two years prior to applying for a permit.

"The ministry also wants applicants' health and behavior to come under closer scrutiny and has suggested adopting aptitude tests used by the Defense Forces," according to yla.fi.

CLIFFS:

Shootings happened at a junior high school about 9:30 a.m. local time
    School located in town of Winnenden, close to Stuttgart
    Police: Three teachers and ten students shot dead
    17-year-old Tim Kretschmer was later killed by police officers

2. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

I thought this stuff only happened in the US.....

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i know rite

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

It's American violent society and media that affecting other countries and making their children do these things.

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

you know, i bet if we cracked down on gun ownership in the US we would start to see crime drop in mexico, germany, the UK, etc

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

7. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Let's just ban everything fun. If it can save just one life, it will be worth it.

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

in

9. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i guess he wasn't USING AN ASSAULT WEAPON OR ASSAULT HANDGUN

10. The Great Deceiver

The Great Deceiver 21st Century Schizoid Man

11. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

He killed 13 people in 2 minutes by just "shooting wildly"??

12. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

probably meant that he wasn't using teh sights, as the targets were so large and so close. indexing. like yar.

13. whomadewho

whomadewho Ohhh FCN Ohhhhh FCN!

I know your message is sarcastic and I'm not really with much of an opinion on gun control in the US but the war that is currently being waged in mexico, between cartels and between cartels and government is massively fueled by US weapons smuggled over there. so in a way, if the availability of weapons in the US were reduced, the crime in mexico might actually drop since the US does approximately provide 95% of the guns used by the cartels.

anyway... I came in this forum to go find info on my next present for myself of the glock variety

14. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

yeah, those rocket launchers they are getting from gun dealers, so available in the us

15. I dunno know about where you are, but in WA they are like pine cones. I found 2 of them sitting in my driveway today.

16. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Most people who are familiar with the laws already governing the rights of US citizens to purchase and own firearms would say that to infringe further on US citizens rights in the hope of reducing the ability of criminals to illegally purchase guns and illegally smuggle them across the border to use for criminal acts in a foreign country is wrong.

And the correct numbers the DEA and ATF have been circulating are stating that approximately 55% of the guns used in crimes there originated from US sources, which by the way, would include any guns that were exported to Central and South American countries.

17. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Hmm I wonder who paid for those. :rofl:

18. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

That's nothing, Los Zetas was trained by US SF in addition to other countries special forces. :mamoru:

Can't trust anybody these days.

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

right, because if we ban all guns crime will totally go away right :hsughno:

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The others have already point out several problems with your post but I think they missed the most obvious one. Drug dealers build their careers around moving banned illegal products. Making them work just ever so slightly more to get another banned illegal item they want is going to be so completely trivial to them.

Lets flip it around for perspective too. Most of the drugs in the US come from Mexico. If mexico were to just disappear off the map tomorrow do you think there'd be an impact on drug use in the US or would drug dealers continue to import their drugs by other avenues because its such a profitable business?