GUN Teen Armed With Iron Killed By Police

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Oct 9, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://cbs3.com/local/local_story_281134701.html
    Oct 9, 2007 9:38 am US/Eastern
    Family: Teen Armed With Iron Killed By Police

(CBS 3) PHILADELPHIA Family members are questioning what led to a police involved shooting inside a West Philadelphia row home Monday during which a 15-year-old boy was killed.

Officers were called to the 600 block of Brill Street in the Lawncrest section of the city after the teen's mother reported a domestic disturbance at about 1:30 p.m.

Authorities said officers opened fire on 15-year-old Ron Timbers during a confrontation in a second-floor hallway. He was rushed to Albert Einstein Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead.

Police believed the teen was armed, possibly with a knife or tire iron, but family members said he was holding a common steam iron.

"He never threatened the officer. What actually took place, they allowed him to run up the steps to go and grab a weapon and then they decided to shot my brother in-law in the chest as well as his neck," family spokeswoman Limika Jenkins said.

"He didn't have a crow bar. He didn't have a knife. He had an iron. They shot and killed someone over an iron," said the victim's aunt.

Timbers was a ninth-grader at the CEP Miller Alternative School, a school for students with discipline problems, according to the Philadelphia School District. Neighbors on Brill Street told CBS 3 they have previously seen the teen carrying knives on several past occasions.

But angered family members questioned the use of deadly force by police as they gathered at the scene with neighbors Monday.

"They could have shot him in the leg if they were going to shot him or they could of maced him. They could've used any other tactic other than shooting him," a family member said.

The officer involved in the shooting has been put on paid leave while Philadelphia Police Internal Affairs Division investigates the incident, as is standard procedure.

Timbers' family said they have hired an attorney.

City police have fatally shot 14 people this year. Last year, 20 people were killed in police shootings, the city's highest annual
    total in more than a quarter-century.

Police Cruiser Crashes En Route To Scene

Chopper 3 was over the intersection of Castor Avenue and Knorr Street where an officer, who was apparently responding to the shooting, was involved in a crash. At least two civilian vehicles were also involved in the accident.

No serious injuries were reported.

Both incidents remain under investigation.

-------

Not enough details to say if it was justified, but it always pisses me off when people call the cops on a family member then cry when their out of control relative ends up being shot by the police.

2. Gimik

Gimik New Member

yeah, not enough details to make a call here.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

He had the iron set to "cotton" and "steam" so it was justified.

4. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

:rofl:

5. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

winrar

7. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

Cops are trained to kill when they shoot.
    Plus if some little Skateboard B was comming at me with a damn steam iron I would given him one center mass too

8. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I really wish people would understand you don't shoot to injury that just puts your ass at more risk.

There is not enough information to make a call on the justification of this shooting.

Though the family spokesperson (or member of the family) said "He never threatened the officer. What actually took place, they allowed him to run up the steps to go and grab a weapon and then they decided to shot my brother in-law in the chest as well as his neck"

So the argument is it is their fault for letting him pick up a weapon, instead of trying to prevent escalation? For heaven's sake make up your mind is it "just an iron" or is it a weapon?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If the shooting was justified, shooting to kill was justified. If you must discharge a firearm, then it's reasonable that shoot-to-kill is appropriate. Not enough info to justify if shooting was truely justified. However, based on the family member's comments, they admit that the shooting was justified -- they simply are mad that he's dead (rightfully so, no one wants to be without a loved one) But that does not change that if justified, shooting-to-kill is justified.

10. jasoneric

jasoneric Guest

yeah some cops are pricks and should be locked up... its just that simple.

even if the kid swung the iron at them do they really need to shoot a 15yr old child?

fuckin pigs

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

15 yr old kids have been given life-in-prison before. At age 15, a kid is very able to inflict serious physical harm.

12. MTech

MTech New Member

:rofl:

13. MTech

MTech New Member

14. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I consider an iron (tire or steam) to be a deadly weapon and would shoot to stop the threat.

15. 4fifths

4fifths God of Bartons

Man I want to take a paid vacation. Let's shoot someone.

16. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

Fucking kid should known better than to run at a cop with an iron. My dad taught me to respect authority, todays youth does not. Maybe it will wake some of them little bastards up!!

17. GTslow88

GTslow88 Guest

The kid sounded like a real winner.