Technology Books

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CompiledMonkey, Dec 21, 2003.

1. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Oct 26, 2001
    I know we have these threads every so often to advice others on books. I figured it was time for a new one. :)

I'm hoping a couple of people will suggest a good software engineering book along with a good design patterns book. :big grin:

The Complete Reference: Java

Along with being mentored by senior engineers, this was my introduction to Java and programming. I enjoyed it and used to refer to it quite a bit. However, I've heard much better things about Thinking in Java. I never bought it, but I hear it's great.

Java Swing

The reference for coding Java Swing. I used this book very often in my last programming class for interface coding. Covers about every Swing component you'll want to know about.

Programming C#

I've glanced through this book a few times in my process of learning C#. I never really read it because of my understanding of Java. I never felt like I had to actually sit down and read it. It does seem like a good overview of the language, but there are probably more complete books out there on C#.

All The Rave: The Rise and Fall of Shawn Fanning's Napster

Not exactly fitting with my other listings, but I really enjoyed this book. If you were ever a big Napster supporter, you'll love this one.
  2. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    The Complete C++ Reference 2nd Edition
    It's just a good all around reference, need to know where a function is or how to implement it this is where it's at

Unix Systems Programming for SRV4
    (aka pink lion book) GREAT book if you're looking to do some programming for unix or linux.

Best of all both books on for used versions, which I bought from in mint condition, go for about $20

3. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

May 4, 2001
  4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Oct 14, 2002
    I don't have any software engineering books.. but here is what is sitting on my shelf..

* Official MCSE Curriculum for NT4.
    * Official MCSE Curriculum for 2000.
    * Official MCSA Curriculum for 2000.
    * BICSI's Telecommunications Distribution Design Manual - 10th Edition
    * Incident Response - Computer Forensics - Great book on anti-hacking and security methods.
    * Computer Forensics - Another great book for security methods, logging, archiving, etc.
    * Sybex Net+
    * Sybex A+ Complete
    * Sybex CCNA
    * McGraw Hill's MCSD: Visual C++ 6, Desktop applications
    * Microsoft Press's "Application Architecture for .NET" (free book, but pretty good.)
    * O'Reilly's Running Linux
    * Exam Cram: RHCE
    * Exam Cram: CCNA
    * Linux For Dummies :rofl:
    * Chatsworth Cabinet and Rack Engineering and Product Management Guide for Engineers & Consultants
    * Blonder Tongue's Broadband Pocket Reference
    * Dilbert: Fugitive from the Cubicle Police

I recommend any of the above for their corresponding topics.. nothing exciting, but all useful. My bookcase at the office is a different story. ;)