GUN Technique tips for the aspiring pistoleer?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 1BadZ, Jun 16, 2006.

1. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

On Saturday, I'm going to shoot for my third time, and this time with my new SA-XD .45 ACP. Are there any good resources for tips in improving accuracy with the help of drills, ect?

Since it's been awhile, I'll need to work briefly on not flinching, but I was pretty good about getting rid of that my first two times. I had good trainers on proper gun safety and manners.

Second I was reading on the HS2000/XDTalk Forums that I should slowly squeeze the trigger to feel it's action throughout the trigger pull. Slowly squeezing off shots will allow me to see how the gun acts with recoil and muzzle flip.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated. :)

2. Peqkx

Peqkx Active Member

3. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

yeah pull the trigger slowly. when it goes off it should be a surprise. what helped me a lot was taping a laser pointer to my gun and dry firing it to reduce flinch. you can then do it at the range too.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Keep your focus on the front sight. Squeeze the trigger back while you keep it on the target. The break will surprise you, hold the trigger back. Do not look for a hole on the target, keep focused on your front site. Get your front site back on target, release the trigger until you feel the click of it reset, then squeeze again. Don't use the joint of your finger to pull the trigger. Don't get a death grip on the gun, it won't go anywhere. Don't overdo the slow thing on the trigger, its more smoothness that you're looking for. I generally don't load a full mag either. Personally I do about 5 rounds at a time usually. Pay attention to your target after a mag or two and see where your rounds are going.

5. 1BadZ

6. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Lasers never help me, they just distract for some reason. I always just could tell if I flinched by how the gun moved. *shrugs*. To each their own I guess.

7. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

8. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

9. 1BadZ

Even if they were real guns, I think the safest place to be would be directly in front of them. :o

Edit: Brings up a good story, a friend of mine "wants" to get a full sized .22lr pistol and paint the end of the barrel orange. :big grin: