Technique: Pet Hair Removal

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by justin30513, Feb 18, 2007.

1. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I've combinesd several techiniques here. I get a few pet hair infested vehicles and hate them. So, I've came up with a process that seems to really work for me.

Here's the steps....

Items needed:
    Snuggle Fabric Softener 10:1
    (It's anti-static properties help to release the hairs from the carpets fibers. The scent will actually help to destroy odor since it has anti-bacterial agents.)
    All Purpose Cleaner
    (Mixed for carpet cleaning.)
    Powerfull Vacuum
    (I use the Ridgid 4050.)
    A pair of BLUE thick rubber gloves
    (These can be found in just about any house hold cleaning section. To me, this is the key tool.)

Techiniques used:
    1. Vacuum the area first. This will remove any loose hair and surface dirt. Wetting surface dirt first can make a situation worse!
    2. Wet area down with the Snuggle mix. You don't have to drench it.....just a good wetting.
    3. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
    4. Now it gets fun. As fun as it can for this job. Turn your vacuum on and sit the nozzle close to the area to be worked. With one hand, rub the carpet with some pressure in a sweeping motion towards your body. The hair should pile up. Suck it away into the vac.
    5. I now wet the area with an APC (or Woolite mix) for shampooing. I'm not going to get into how to shampoo. This is assuming you know how.
    6. Stand back and look at your work.
    The test area......
    (2004 Toyota Sequoyah cargo area. Carries 2 German Shepherds.)
    [​IMG]

The area under the hair removing technique described above.....
    (Snuggle mix already applied.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One half of the area de-haired and shampoo'd. Hopefully you can tell which side!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

:cool: tips, Justin. Thanks!

3. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Thanks for the tips, Justin! :bigthumb:

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Sorry to be so late. But i have also heard that going to a craft store and picking up some very low pile hook tape (i.e. velcro) and combing it through the cars upholstry, and carpeting can really pull alot of the hair out as well. Ive even seen some companies sell a "pet hair glove" that is essentialy a glove with hook tape attatched to teh palm and fingers.

Similar principle to what your doing with the rubber gloves, but with some bite.

5. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

nice tips thanks

6. uglyevo

uglyevo New Member

To make things even easier I just use a rubber brush and the hair practically throws itself off the carpet. Only cost me $7.95 and its probably the best tool I ever bought when it comes to saving time on a detail.

7. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

That's relatively easy carpet to work with on that Sequioa and your technique is effective.

But on tight, short carpets (ie, Montero, CRV, VW), the de-static and latex glove combing approach will not work. I've found that misting with APC, followed by a die grinder w/ a carpet bristle attachment followed by 80 psi of compressed air followed by vacuuming, followed by multiple repetitions, works best.

Always be sure to look up to the headliner and down to seatbelt recepticles and below/between the seats for pet hair. It's literally everywhere.