MMA Technique of the Day #4: Kneebar from Half Guard

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by JordanClarkson, Oct 24, 2005.

1. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Kneebar from Top Half Guard

1. You have your inside leg hooked in on the inside of his leg and his free leg is up to block you from passing and getting the mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hook your arm under his propped up leg (the right leg in the b&w pic), use your free leg to step over to his other side. In this case your right foot goes to his right side.

3. With your arms hooked around his leg, fall backwards and towards the side you were on. In this case you would fall to the left side.

4. Wrap your top leg around his leg.

5. Turn facing away from him and pull his leg back. This hyperextends the knee.

In competition you need to be very exposive when you do this because it's an easy opportunity for the guy on the bottom to get you into his guard.

But in practice go SLOW. When you crank it, don't crank it very much. Most people who aren't flexible won't be able to stand having their legs at 90 degrees.

I was also taught to wrap both legs around his leg but I like to use the other one to prevent him from straightening out.

Here's an example though it is done slightly different as he falls to the opposite side of how I described. IMO that takes more time. Once he props the leg up you know he's looking for it. Watch how fast it happens.

Shamrock vs Bas Rutten back when he didn't throw fights :hs:

Click here

Listen for the scream :rofl:

edit: added pics

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

so is everyone taking turns to provide a technique of the day? :rofl:

i thought it was just placebo

anyway.. i suggest anyone who's going to use these techniques ask someone knowledgable where they train exactly how to perform them. the details are really important. especially with something like a kneebar. its definitely not as easy as putting his knee into between your two legs and falling backwards. ;)

3. Placebo

Placebo New Member

It's cool I'll just post the next one when no one else posts one.

4. JordanClarkson

I was actually just going to post the vid but this is one of my favorite moves so I figured I'd share doing it this way because it's something different than what most of you may have learned.

Plus nothing had been posted today. :)

5. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

just download instructionals, text explanantions never work for me. Hell, even video explanantions sometimes don't fully convey the technique. I finf that i always learn best when there is someone to point out the mistakes i am making and what i need to do to improve it.

6. JordanClarkson

That's true. I remember watching a Gracie instructional video awhile ago and scrapped it because it was too difficult to follow without having someone there to teach you step by step. Perhaps the very basic techniques would make more sense to those who don't train.

7. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

Yeah I think everyone should hold their horses on posting a bunch of techniques. While it's a good idea in theory, in execution it could get some clueless noobs hurt.

If you wanna post a technique review, you should take the time to write it up before hand, take pics of each step, and pass the writeup by your instructor or at least a few of the forum 'experts' before it's posted publicly.

8. JordanClarkson

Here's a simple one

Technique 4A - Closed Guard

Step 1
    Wrap your legs around his waist

[​IMG]

Add more steps to this if you wish. This isn't a joke btw. I'm sure a lot of noobs need to know this.

:coold:

9. JordanClarkson

And if you guys have something to add or correct on the first one, post away :dunno:

10. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

well that's why I said one of the experts here, cuz I'm not one lol

11. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

Ken Shamrock has been known to snap a submission in, not applying it somewhat gradually to let his opponent tap. as effective as he is, that's fucking dangerous

12. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

When you are fighting you have to crank a sub a lot harder and MAKE them tap as opposed to when you train and you slowly crank and let them decide to fight it or tap. I learned my lesson, from now on I will never wait for someone to tap, I will crank as far and hard as I can and if they are too slow to tap thats too fucking bad.

13. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i'm not saying that you should apply pressure slowly in an actual MMA fight, but shamrock is somewhat notorious for REALLY cranking and causing pretty extensive injuries. in an armbar, he'd arch his back and really snap his pelvis up

14. JordanClarkson

Ever watch Ryan Gracie vs Anjo and Oyama? Brutal armbars :eek4:

When Royce Gracie fought, the refs would have to struggle to remove his subs even after the match was over.