MMA Technique of the Day #2: Mount to Triangle

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Placebo, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Technique of the Week #2: Mount to Triangle edited with video

I hope you guys enjoy this one as much as you guys seemed to enjoy the last. I will hopefully be getting videos up shortly.

Mount to Triangle

This technique is a little more advanced than the first one. I would recommend that you learn the triangle from the guard before performing this maneuver.

Here is a decent guide on how to perform it: http://members.aol.com/nyjiujitsu/triangle.html

So you worked hard and eventually gained the mount position on your opponent. He is pissed and is turtling up with both hands on his chest and his elbows inside. He is thinking that there is no way in hell you are submitting him.

Here's what you do.

Step 1:

With both of your hands, attempt to push his right wrist to his side. He will resist this and try to go back to turtling.

Step 2:

With the force he is using as a reaction, pull his hand up to your chest with both of your arms, and post (stand onto) your left food by his side.

Step 3:

Rotate your body clockwise while swinging your right leg over his head as if you are doing the arm bar to him.

Make sure that during that rotation that you keep your right knee on the ground as long as possible for balance.

He will be convinced that that is what you are doing so he will attempt to turn over and go on all fours.

Step 4:

Let him do that. When he gets on his hands, slip your right leg off of his head so that his head will pop through.

Step 5:

The Triangle

With the grip you have maintained on his hand, pull his arm across so that his hand is dangling over your right side.

Put your right calf across the back of his neck so that you can lock your legs into a figure four. At that point your right foot should be under the crux of his left leg.

Lift up on your hips and squeeze his head down. If you did it right he will tap.

Thanks to chechen a vid of it slightly modified:

http://www.newaza.net/guest/JJM%20Five%20Favorite%20Finishes%20Finishes-1.mpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

mmmm you're missing a critical detail here.

[​IMG]

this is what youre suggesting, let your leg slip off his head, so he'll sit up into the triangle. however, if you just take your leg off his head, he'll roll right up into your guard 100% of the time.

[​IMG]

look here, imagine someone is holding their arms together to defend the armbar. one of your feet is on the side of his body, and one of your feet is on the side of his head. you have to slip the foot on the side of his body through that little hole he's creating by holding his arms. now both of your feet are on the side of his head, with his arm in between. that is Step 1

Step 2 is you let your foot slide off, NOW he'll sit up into the triangle. but you HAVE to put your foot on the other side for this to happen.

3. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Wrong arm chechen...

I need to start posting pics so you guys will understand it better. I'm going to think of how I can word it differently.

4. chechen

hmmmm maybe i misunderstood you. its hard to visualize it exactly without pics

5. chechen

your technique is like the one nog did to semmy schilt, right?

6. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I won't have an opportunity to post pics until next week unfortunately.

BTW I made some edits to the original post so you will hopefully understand a little better.

7. chechen

im uploading a video, tell me if this is what youre talking about

8. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah, you really need pics for each step in posts like this. maybe do your written portions now, and once you have pics post the final product? :dunno: I know having the forum is exciting but if it's difficult to visualize for someone who understands grappling, imagine how impossible it'd be for someone with little to no experience?

9. chechen

is this it?

link

10. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

probably my favourite technique but i finish the triangle from the top and not roll to the bottom

11. Placebo

Placebo New Member

The way I was taught it is from the opposite side, but that is close. I will edit with pictures early next week or possibly tommorow.

Trust me guys, you will really like this technique once I get pictures up, but there are a number of variations.

12. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I know what placebo is describing. It is something I saw jean jacque machado do in an instructional. You do the same motion as an arm bar from mount, except you pull the other arm and triangle the guy once you are on your back.

13. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Exactly.

14. chechen

ok guys, i definitely found it. ill upload a video. one moment

15. chechen

ok im pretty sure this is it

link 2

16. Placebo

Placebo New Member

chechen :bowdown: The blackbelt I learned it from trained under jean jacques machado.

17. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Very smooth move. Nice clip chechen.