Technical Specifications

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, May 16, 2006.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Anyone ever had to write a lengthy technical specification? I just finished a 20 page external specification for 3rd party integration including DB schema, XML protocol and API. About 10 diagrams, some UML. A million fucking typos and inconsistencies across layers to fix each time. Ugh. Hope this holds up without a major revision. Had a tight deadline and its been exhausting. Hopefully we get the implementation contract though, having done a good job on the spec. I wouldn't want to have to spec anything bigger than this project with a Big Design Up Front methodology at this level of granularity. Extreme programming ftw. I don't mean no spec, I mean smaller, iterative specs. Baby steps.

Wrote it in Pages, with a template I downloaded. Very pretty visually. I still have a couple naming inconsistencies to fix in the morning before I send it off, but I am too tired to properly catch them.

I know most of you wouldn't bother with a spec, but sometimes you must. Anyone ever write specs here?

2. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

I have to generate about 20-50 pages of docs including use cases and implementation specs everytime I have to upgrade our software for my client. Being they're the 2nd largest retailer they require an upgrade every 2 months and usually keep 3 projects in the air at the same time. For their part, they'll come up with 100-200 pages of requirements and then a dozen meetings to revise my doc because I did too much copy/paste and only their PM's are anal retentive enough to question the grammar of every sentence. My current project goes to UAT tomorrow and I still haven't gotten back a signed off revision. I'm just glad I don't have to write the 200 pages of test scripts we have to deliver as well.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I used to do QA... test scripts... what a NIGHTMARE. Writing them sucks. Running them will drive you insane. Thats how I got into QA automation.