Technical question on Molex connectors

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MacandCheese, Sep 19, 2006.

1. MacandCheese

MacandCheese Mmm Mmmm Goood ;)

Hi guys & gals,

Quick Q: Is the 5v pin on a 4pin molex power adapter a steady 5v or variable 5v? From my readings and various google searches, it seems to be steady. But i just want to have it confirmed. I'm looking for something that is a constant steady 5v in a pc.

Thanks! :)

[​IMG]

2. howste

howste New Member

The red wire is 5 volts DC current.

I assume that DC (direct current) is what you meant by "constant steady" as opposed to AC (alternating current).

3. Xyroquell

Xyroquell New Member

The powerlines in your computer may vary 5 or 10%, depending on the powerline and purpose of the machine. To be on the save-side you might say that the voltage of the +5v line lies somewhere between +4.5 and 5.5 volt.

However, most powersupplies provide something very close to 5v as long as the total power does not reach the maximum power as specified on the PSU.

I don't know what you want with this info, but please keep in mind that you cannot use an AT(x)* powersupply for other purposes as powering your PC and some internal devices. Without a mainboard and it's average load it can be quite hard to power up your PSU. If you want to use it without a mainboard, see if you can find an old XT powersupply. In that case you only have to connect the correct wires to get it up and running. But the downside is that those powersupplies are generally not as powerfull as the current ones.

4. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

Paperclip + green pin + black pin = power.

5. Xyroquell

Xyroquell New Member

On a switched ATX PSU?

To my experience they only work when there's a minimum load on the required powerlines.

6. Furner

Furner New Member

sometimes that is the case, but they will usuallly boot up without. if you need a load, throw a shitty old hard drive on there.

7. Xyroquell

Xyroquell New Member

Hmm okay, I'll remember that in case my XT PSU's fail or when I need a tremendous amount of power on 12 of 5 volt ;)

Tnx anyway.