tech review, V. Sprint EVDO revA and Sierra 595U

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MAD PUNK inDC, Aug 10, 2007.

1. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

Well been using this in the Bay area, and so far I am very pleased. It's download rates are actualy faster than alot of DSL speeds I've seen, but uploads are still slow. Still good enough for most applications. Setup was very easy, though I had to download the driver and connection management tools directly from Sierra, insted of being able to instal off the CD, something I hope they fix in the next version. The 595U, uses the qualcom 6800 chipset, wich is rumored to be upgraded through the next revision, and features Dual-band, 800 and 1900 MHz, and a built in GPS antenna. So far this is what I've experienced.

Apple Remote Desktop and VNC:
    Not bad, a little slow on the connection, latency definatly hurts, though the lag seems to decrease once a connection is established. I suggest running the screen in black and white. Other than that, it's not bad. I had no drop outs or problems with syncing up.

Streaming audio download, iTunes:
    Seems to work great. Driving around will get you dropouts in some spots, just like any other cell device, though I had only a few spots where it had to rebuffer the stream. If you can tolerate 64kbps down that seems to work best, but 128kbps is tolerable with only a dropout maybe every 10 to 20 minutes that clears up quickly. This is particularly good for me, considering that bay area radio stations suck ass.

Apple update:
    Again slow at first, but downloaded the files (security patch and iTunes update) faster than most DSL connections I've used.

Web browsing:
    Fast, particularly for any site that doesn't require alot of information to be uploaded, though posting on OT is still quick. In fact OT only slightly lags with this, compared to DSL, and cable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

speeds seem consistant even when testing various locations. Even though I have an unlimited data plan ($48/month) I wouldn't use this as my primary internet connection, but it's nice to know that for the most part it could, in fact it outperforms my landline broadband service from just a couple of years ago.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

speeds are quite impressive considering what it is. Latency is disgusting, however.

3. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

yeah not too bad, very consistant, though I was in a lower signal area, inside an ice rink. :x:. it's a little higher at my friends house, around 2500-2700, with upload in the 800-900 range. Latency however doesn't improve much. I've seen it as low as 170ms, but still not much of a problem once a connection is established.

4. McFly

McFly New Member

I have had the 595U for 5 weeks now with a 20in G5 iMac. It is my primary internet connection because that and satellite are the only high speed options where I live. I get a consistant 1200kbps down and 500-700kbps up, latency is around 150ms. That is about as fast as I can get with a single T1 at the nearby tower. Coming from 8 years of dial up this is like gold to me! Sprint EVDO rules.