tech help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sublime, Apr 28, 2003.

1. sublime

sublime Guest

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]my uncle bought an old gateway with some goofy problem that im pretty sure is fixable.

when you boot it up it gets to the screen where it checks the ram and crap, then it screws up somewhere and goes

WAIT. . . .
    NVRAM/CMOS/PASSWORD Cleared By Jumper.
    Power Down And Remove Jumper
    Press <Esc> to Resume

and escape just takes me to BIOS

im pretty sure i gotta crack open the case and remove this mythical jumper, just no idea where to begin to look.. any help appreciated :bowdown:
    [/font]

2. tstrandh

tstrandh New Member

Jumpers are located on the motherboard. I have not delt with them much, but it may be a wrong setting with should be described in the manual (did it come with one). Here is a good picture and some info:

http://webopedia.com/TERM/j/jumper.html

It will be a very small black plastic cap like in the link. Check manual for the right setting, or try removing and putting back the system clock battery (small circular battery face down on motherboard).

3. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

you need the motherboard manual.

on most mobos there is a jumper that, when installed on boot, clears the cmos and shit. you need to find it and remove it.

without the manual you're gonna have to pull random jumpers :(

here's a hint that might help if you're doing trial and error: most times these jumpers are found on 3-pin headers. if it's across pins 1-2, it's in standard mode. if it's across pins 2-3, it's in the mode you're describing above.

4. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter