A&P TEAM- I need your advice. v. Help!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Tonster MBA, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Tonster MBA

Tonster MBA OT'r of the Year 2013 OT Supporter

So I committed to assist a good friend of mine at a wedding that he had booked. He told be about this quite sometime ago, he is paying to $200 bucks, but w.e he is a friend and I am helping him out. Well tonight I was told that I will have to chance to be flown out to Florida to photograph the US Nationals of college rugby. I play for ASU on the B-side and was basically told they will fly me out and pay for everything If I tag along as team photographer.

Well I called my buddy and he told me that no one comes to mind that he can think of to assist him. The rugby team needs to know by tomorrow night.

What should I do? :noes:

As of know- I am committed to my friend and will not back down on him, on the otherside the pictures of Nationals will generate a lot of expose and revenue for me; plus I get to travel with my team.

2. Tonster MBA

If anyone wants to be an assistant to a wedding for $200 its April 17th in Santa Barbara at a beautiful location. :x:

3. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Rugby. If your friend does not understand, then he's no friend.

4. alexromo

alexromo New Member

if you were a mainphotog i would be worried, but ur just a 2nd camera

i would go with rugby

main photog will just have to do a lot more work unless you wanna quickly train someone to cover you

5. mojito

mojito New Member

you're going to tell me that in a town with 2000 budding photography students that he can't find a 2nd shooter?

6. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Ditch the wedding.

If he is a good friend, he will understand you and won't be disappointed

7. johan

johan Active Member

Rugby.

If you're really stuck on it, offer to kick in some $$ so he can hire a good second shooter.

Say...double his offer of payment to you, so $200 back to him. Cover off your friend. You are his friend, right?

8. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Except they'll all want to show up with their 4x5 view cameras!

9. mojito

mojito New Member

lol we did that at a wedding. one had a 4x5, one a 645, one 35 and i was 35 digital :o

10. aCab

aCab New Member

Seeing as how you committed to the wedding however,I'd say you're going to have to help with the wedding. You committed already, you gave him your work that you would be there to help him. Don't be a flake. Personally, even if you were my friend and I was giving you that opportunity and you were canceling on me, esp. this late in the game (don't know how far out the wedding is), I might seriously think about not giving you the opportunity again.

11. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I came here to post this. If I was the main camera, I might understand that you thought the Rugby was better experience, but you're fucking me over and weddings are my business, so you're out as a 2nd shooter. forever.

I'm also questioning how Rugby would get you more exposure and revenue? What type of shooting are you getting into? Is sports going to be your main gig? Will the school pay you to shoot more events?

At the end of the day, you have to take the better opportunity. For me, shooting a wedding with a more experienced wedding photog is better, because it gets me another wedding under my belt, and the chance to see someone else work to see what I can improve on. But I make $$ with weddings. I shoot sports for shits and giggles.

12. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

i gotta agree with this. What is it you're wanting to get into professionally? If Sports is your gig, then go with rugby, and do what you can to get a 2nd for your friend. If it's gonna be weddings, etc., then the sports gig is just gonna be exposure for something you're not planning on doing.

13. mojito

mojito New Member

just admit you'd rather spend time with sweaty men then hot bridesmaids

14. Tonster MBA

Still haven't found a worthy replacement, so it looks like I don't get to go to florida...

Both the wedding and the tournament are the weekend of the 17th (7days) from now.

15. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

I know it hurts man, but you may get another shot at the rugby thing. When you tell them "no" also include the fact that you're already committed to another gig, but anything in the future... so they may not count you out. Integrity will carry you a long way in certain circles mate. :hs:

16. Tonster MBA

:naughty: