A&P Team: Help me with my business plan.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Tonster MBA, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Tonster MBA

Tonster MBA OT'r of the Year 2013 OT Supporter

Mission: Make sufficient revenue that will compensate me for my time and efforts

Goals: To break even the first attempt - Be profitable by the second go around.

Idea: Upon returning to the U.S go to a BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) tournament and sell on location photos the same date as the competition.

What I have: d300, 70-200, 17-55, desktop (two monitors), mac book, 8gig mem card, a girlfriend, exclusive rights to be the photographer at the tournament.

What I need(what I would like): A business or person that is willing to lease a printer to me for the weekend that will produce professional quality photographs that I can be proud about selling, some sort of mating service that would allow me to sell my photos in different forms (just the picture, matted, framed etc.), hire one laborer, another CF card. A way to accept credit cards and debit cards.

Plan of Action: What I plan to do is set up a booth at the tournament with my desktop and my laptop. I would ideally like to have my laptop sycnhed to my desktops lightroom and allow for people to browse my photos on my labtop while I do all other transactions/processing/business things on my desktop. Once a person selectes the photo from my laptop, i will be able to edit the picture for basic things (wb,exposure etc) and send it directly to my printer behind me. Print it out and sell it to them right there on the spot. I would love to be able to offer different options of size and Frames.

As you can see I can't be at two places at once, since I am the photographer I would photograph the matches and switch out CF cards every half hour or so and have my hired hand deliever them to my GF. The GF would be taught how to make the transactions as well as print out the photos. I would have the hired hand learn this process too. I would cut the GF on some of the profits and pay the hired hand $10 an hour.

What I need from Team OT:
    Critique, criticize, and tell me it won't work. So that I can fix any problems that might accure before investing any money. Is there anything that I am missing? did i not think of something?

Comments?

ibPic/Nudes. She told me not to :wtc:

2. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

Finding a way to accept plastic will be difficult, I'm quite sure merchant agreements don't allow vendors to rent out their terminals like that.

3. the Rosswog

the Rosswog OT Supporter

Payment:
    Use a blackberry or one of the 3g wireless modems to connect your laptop to the internet on site.
    Process transactions a point of sale / "card in hand". You type the CC numbers into a secure form in the payment gateways virutal terminal.

Instead of limiting yourself to on-site purchases, you should set up a web site where the competitors and family members can browse and purchase digital files and prints online. You can use the same payment gateway for your site.

Photos: Shoot JPEG's and learn how to get the image right in camera. That way your hired hand / assistant doesn't have to do any post processing (i.e. spend time)

I wouldn't worry about framing etc. People don't want to be upsold on pictures. Also give them the chance to purchase images on CD without prints. You will make more sales.

Mission Statement: This tells us nothing about what you are trying to do... everyone starts a business to "be compensated".

4. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I heard that iPhone has a creditcard app. Do you or your gf have one?

5. aCab

aCab New Member

PM me your email and I can send you a PDF of the business plan I made for a class last semester.

6. aCab

aCab New Member

btw, mine was about 10-12 pages long :o

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Payment method: an online merchant account is a good way to go. Of course, this requires a 'net connection so this is something to think about. Not to scare you, but merchant accounts usually involve a 3 year commitment or a chunk of change to get out of it. Hit up a couple banks and they will help you out and get you the details. Also, do shop around. I shopped around and was surprised to see some banks take a bit longer to get you the payment funds than others.

Business Model: I saw this business model at a horse event (county fair type thing). They had a really similar setup to yours. What they were doing, from what I could see, was they had a shooter. Every now and then the runner would go out and swap memory. They would return and quickly print out a contact sheet(s). Competitors were able to browse the contact sheets and get prints right there. The printer wasn't anything exciting. Just a standard inkjet from what I remember. I would think the benefit of printing at the event is people can capture the memory right there and take it home with them (take it with them the next day and show friends and family). I think this approach worked great with the horse folks since it looked like they travel a lot and not all that computer friendly.

You might wish to have on hand business cards with links to where folks can find the pictures online (if you make them available online for ordering). You can pass them out and drum up more business.

If you got guts, tweak your idea a bit and turn it into a franchise. There are a lot of events similar to this that might enjoy photos at the event...

Good luck!

8. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

9. alexromo

alexromo New Member

i bought a skimboard once on the beach using my card, guy called it in to his merchant over the phone and made the transaction old school, using a card slider

10. alexromo

alexromo New Member

get wifi teathering for your camera
    get express digital darkroom pro
    buy dye thermal printer
    ??
    profit

11. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

paypal can proccess credit cards. use an aircard and laptop to be portable

12. Tonster MBA

Tonster MBA OT'r of the Year 2013 OT Supporter

I have tried this, but Jiu Jitsu is a little bit harder to do this for. There are, at any given time, up to 16 competitors and i have almost never had the loser of the match by picturees of them self losing so i only photograph the person winning. But It is hard to just watch one match because some are slow and some are fast and i never know if its best to just stick to one mat and photograph it all day or hope around photographing and just hope they happen to go to my site. I finally have an ample supply of business card so I plan on passing them out to who ever wins.