A&P Team - Any christians here that photograph church activities v. usage rights

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Tonster MBA, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Tonster MBA

Tonster MBA OT'r of the Year 2013 OT Supporter

Well I maybe talking to a small crowd here, but I was wondering if anyone else has run into this issue before. I belong/participate in a group called "Young Life" it is like a non-denominational group. It can be easily described as if it were a christian fraternity. Anyways I almost always bring my camera to events - House building, missions trips to Mexico, weekend retreats, so on. I usually public display my pictures on facebook and what not because I could really careless. Well about a month ago I came into YL and a 3 foot by 7 foot banner was hanging up using all pictures that I took. And it said Young Life on it with my pictures in the back ground. I was aware that they asked if they could use some of my pictures for a "young life promotion" , they said, and of course I agreed. I brought up this issue about them using my pictures, where 1000's of people see them, and how they didn't even cite where the pictures came from. Being a christian and in a christian group I got the typical, "its not about you, its about him [Jesus]." So I was wondering If I am out of line to make them at least say "photos by....." next time or what? Any advice???

Cliffs: My pix were used for an advirstiment banner, I asked them to cite the photos, was told No.

2. aCab

aCab New Member

Younglife isn't quite like church man, it's a separate organization. But anyways, they are non for profit. Not sure what to do here. Maybe ask then for some recognition somewhere in the future?

I always thought you were in College.

3. Tonster MBA

I am; its college Young life, most of the people in college YL are the leaders of High School YL. We do different stuff then High School as well.

4. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

Tell them that Jesus Christ doesn't like people who steal.

5. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

That might be a little harsh, but is very funny :rofl:

I see no reason they couldn't put your name somewhere with the pictures. Your not asking for money. Technically you could probably get tax credit for your donation :wiggle:

6. Tonster MBA

Matthew 6:1-4 is what they are inferring too!

/edit for the lazy

7. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Not the place for that discussion, but they are a little out of context. Look at the example of what was happening that caused that verse to be stated and you'll see what I'm meaning.

Unless your going around purposely doing something like "wanting recognition of your greatness/holiness due to giving your pics to them in a cocky/showy manner" then your not doing anything wrong.

Okay enough of that, now back to the tax credits:bowdown:

8. Spurious

Spurious New Member

You should have laid terms and gotten a document signed if you wanted to protect your rights, you said they could use them for promotion without restriction or citation (those aren't assumed conditions for use). You have basically no option but begging. The burden of proof for copyright infringement is on the copyright holder. You agreed, they can use them however they want, verbal contracts are binding and hard as hell to prove never happened, which it did anyway.

Suck it up and learn from your mistake.

9. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

unless you're kinda like the unofficial photographer for them, they should have gotten your permission. have they used/asked for your photos before?

10. aCab

aCab New Member

verbal agreement is still a contract. :doh:

11. aCab

aCab New Member

As a fellow Younglife (back in HS) and a fellow photographer, I could side either way. But, seeing as you agreed for promotional use and never discussed credit/money/etc., I'm going to have to side with YL here.

You don't want to start crap over something so miniscule. Just let is slide, learn from your mistake, and move on.

12. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Also: Christians = Shady

13. Tonster MBA

Well I asked for credit when they asked to use they photos, and they said we will see. Whatever that was just an example, but I only bring it up because they asked again.

I got this e-mail today [I am on winter break so this is prob in prep for next semester]

14. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

you told them they could use the photos, so what are you bitching about? :ugh:

next time say "yes, but i want to be credited for them" - it's not a hard situation

15. Tonster MBA

thanks joey

16. Enigma

Enigma New Member

I agree with Joey.

I probably wouldn't really get upset if I took pictures of events at my church and later found them on a flyer or something.

And tell that guy to stop calling them 'picks'.

17. Tonster MBA

I am not upset at all, I was merely asking if it is out of line to give them an ultimatum, "hey next time cite my pictures or don't ask me" I just think that sounds kind of harsh.

18. yexy

yexy New Member

I'm a Christian, and I've gone through similar stuff with groups...being a part of the group doesn't mean you lose the right to have your photos credited to you. You don't have to be a jerk, but be firm. They are using your work, for free...as long as they credit them to you. Don't let people twist scripture around to maniupulate you. :)

19. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

This should work. If not then you can let it slide or stop giving them pics.

20. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

the last time I checked, there are a ton of books in the bible that the writer is given credited for - Matthew, Mark, Luke, etc.

If God can give credit to those people for using their creative talent, YL can give some to. It would be Godly of them to also

21. Tonster MBA

My reply

His Reply

So i guess they are willing to give me credit now..

22. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I think you stated your case very well.

23. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

i wasn't being a jackass, or at least wasn't trying to be one.

but you gotta see where I'm coming from....

24. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up.

also, how would it ever be inappropriate to give one credit in small letters on the picture?

25. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

I do an extensive amount of work, photo, still video and otherwise for my church and other related or semi-related non-profits.... self promo rights and a plug where appropriate is a perfectly acceptable thing to request (early on) and require (eventually) as you do more and more work. Let this one go if they're being firm about it, just do things differently next time.

The work may be for God and His church but stifling your ability to effectively donate your (otherwise expensive) work impairs your long-term career, which means you'll have less time, talent and treasure to donate later. Don't be a jerk, don't forget why you're doing the work...but don't let them push you around either.

I was out recently doing a bunch of video for an SF non-profit that feeds homeless people and they were more than happy to pay my media, transportation and incidentals, as well as grant me all the self promo rights I wanted, credit on the piece, etc. - and this is almost always the case, just do it in advance. People take it as a bit mercenary if you ask for things after the fact, even though it really isn't your intention.