Teach me about VMware

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Feb 22, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I know what VMWare is, but I have no clue what options are available for OS X. Do you have to have an Intel machine? Are there different flavors? I was using VirtualPC but it was a piece of shit and I never installed it since Leopard.

In for tips and tricks.

2. bovine

bovine New Member

Yes, it needs to be Intel. The only flavor for OS X is VMWare Fusion. It is not a piece of shit, rather; it rocks.

You can download a full functioning trial from the VMWare site and either pay for a real key or get a key from 'other sources.'

3. verbal

verbal Active Member

I need to upgade-- only have a powerbook. :(

4. verbal

verbal Active Member

How does it run though?

What are the pros and cons of doing this over just dual booting windows? Does it still run the same as if you dual booted?

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i have been running it on a recent core2duo MBP with 4Gb of memory and XP in VMWare actually runs faster there than on the laptop i pulled the image from. that other laptop is a bit older, but it is interesting to see that it runs so much better on what is essentially an emulator.

6. verbal

verbal Active Member

Do most of you dual boot or use VMWare? Or both?

7. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

it's really not an emulator though; the instructions are x86-native all the way. VMware just lets the guest operating system intelligently share the processor cores with the host, which is why the speed is so close to native speed. :cool:

Emulators suck because software is on-the-fly translating instructions for one processor architecture to another; that's why stuff like VirtualPC is so slow, but there's no way around it when you're on different hardware.

8. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

How does it compare to Parallels?

9. bovine

bovine New Member

Much snappier. I ran parallels for about six months before switching and the difference was quite noticeable.

10. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

yeah, i liked Fusion much better than Parallels also. i also found Fusion to be more stable. i was also able to connect my blackberry over USB to my Fusion system, but Parallels would be very flakey with it.

11. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

in for info

12. bovine

bovine New Member

Yep, I like VMWare's handling of peripherals much better than Parallels. For VMWare, all I do to hook something up is download the Windows drivers like I would on a native machine. This worked for a Dell color laser printer and for a USB-to-serial converter. Both peripherals perform flawlessly. In fact, the printer prints about 5 times faster in VMWare than it does under OS X, because Dell sucks and I have to use hacked drivers to run my printer in unix.

Under Parallels I had to use the Mac driver for my printer and the USB-to-serial converter would flat out not work. For this alone I would have switched to VMWare; add on the fact that it's much faster and it's really a no-brainer.

13. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

Fusion is perfect. Parallels blows. I bought both and ended up deleting parallels.app and keeping Fusion.

Here's a short movie I did for you. >>Fusion, click here<<