MIL Teach me about the reserves, fellas.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Slurms McKenzie, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie New Member

A little back story; at 18 I dropped out of college (it was boring as fuck) to join the Marines. Graduated bootcamp but had broken my foot during the crucible, it didn't stop me I just ignored it. The DI's fought to let me graduate and won, right before graduating I get told I'll have to recover in BMP before getting shipped to Combat Training. I continue to ignore my injury and start jogging to stay in shape, and it breaks even more. :hs: A new docter looks at me and says I have high arches, and that it wasn't waived so I really shouldn't even be there. The commanding officer (I think he's called) sits me down and gives me the choice of getting kicked out via ELS, or staying in BMP confined to my room for an unknown amount of time. I choose the ELS.

Kind of a stupid reason to leave but I was young(er) and worry free, I'm going to school again now and am feeling the hardships of the economy. I want to join the reserves, to sort of keep one foot in the door....if that's understandable. The Marines, although fun and exciting, isn't really the kind of work I want to be doing.

TLDR'rs start here;

I'm currently looking into Coast Guard Reserves (because it seems as fun as the Marines, but I'll be helping the country over senselessly killing people...I don't want to go to war) and Air Force Reserves (because my dad has been enlisted for over twenty years, and it's easy as fuck.)

I plan on moving to Seattle, Washington soon and the CG seems like it could be the best choice given the location. Any CG'rs in here? What can I expect as a reservist?

Most of all, is it worth it? Some of the biggest reasons include insurance, tuition support, various loans I can take advantage of, the "coolness" of the Coast Guard and some extra money. My dad wants me to join Air Force, I'm not as motivated to join them; however it's such an easy job I wouldn't mind it. I've heard the Coast Guard is difficult to get into, is there anything I should know before contacting a recruiter?

I know this was long, and there are lot's of questions. But I joined the Marines on a whim and want to be more informed this time. Thanks for any help!

2. tan koi

tan koi Guest

What's the RE code you got when you were separated?

3. Slurms McKenzie

I'm not sure, but I do remember being told I could re-enlist after two years. However I would have to complete bootcamp again. I'm trying to look it up and see if any of them ring a bell, but it's not looking good. I have no idea where the paper work is.

I'm guessing RE-1 :dunno:

4. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

If you end up with MSST 91101 in Seattle send me a pm. :run:

5. Slurms McKenzie

You have a source for these excerpts? It's hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or serious, but I understand your point. I know Coast Guard deals with drug smugglers and pirates, but that's not all they do. When I was in the Marines I was infantry, I was going to be trained to kill people...thats it. There's no substance.
    I had to Google it, but very awesome! I'll assume this is where you are? Would you like to shed some light on the Coast Guard? The only info I seem to get is always from people from the other branches. :hs:

6. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

Nope...but I'll get the fuck smoked out of you. :mamoru:

7. Slurms McKenzie

What does that mean?

8. Slurms McKenzie

Well browsing this forum has reminded me how incompetent the average military nerd is, I'm glad I got out so early. :rofl:

9. tan koi

tan koi Guest

You'll need to get a recruiter to follow up on it. It might still be on OMPF or whatever the marines use to electronically store military files. If you remember it being RE-1/RE-1a then you're in the clear to come back in.

lol YOU BETTER NOT BE LYING TO US.

10. Slurms McKenzie

Well I'll go ahead and talk to a recruiter to find out more about it, and I why would I lie? Going by bootcamp terms I'll assume he means...make my life hell? It didn't fit the context of the conversation so maybe it means something else.

11. Slurms McKenzie

:rofl:

You've done nothing but quote a bunch of shit and try to run me out of here, I'll happily inflate your dick size if that's what you want. I just want to find out more about the Coast Guard, I live in the middle of the desert; if there is a CG base around I'd be shocked.

What do you do? Your branch? Is there a reason your being such a fag towards me?

12. tan koi

tan koi Guest

Just poking fun. Most boots automatically know what being smoked is.

13. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

LOL. Welcome to the Barracks. We just want you to be completely informed and make a well-informed decision. She's right. She's quoting the "good stuff" and trying to help you out. Just relax, and do what you want. But don't come back complaining that you made the wrong decision when you have had a lot of different people give you the truth.

Typical Marine, IMHO. Crazy as a mofo and never wrong.

14. Slurms McKenzie

You're completely right and I apologize, I didn't mean to insult anyone...hell if anything I'm only coming up with reasons for why I shouldn't sign up for the Marines a second time. It's hard to look down on someone who is successful at something I failed at.

I don't know how to describe the rage I felt when I was kicked out, I put everything I had into being a good Marine and for what? Nothing. I'll admit that I'm probably bitter towards a military as a whole but part of me still wants to join.

So I guess I'll just wait some more and really think about it, the big reason I started thinking about joining and posting here is because my two year "probation" is up.

I respect the shit out of you guys I didn't mean to be an ass. :sadwavey: