Teach me about Final Cut and ripping/encoding video for iPods.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Jan 27, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I have Final Cut and I want to start pulling video from my miniDV cam. There's so many video compressions out there I'm not sure which is the best to use for storing my video clips. I know if I plan on editing later I shouldn't use any compression, but I'm talking about my final end clips for use other places.

I also want to learn about encoding videos to put on my iPod. What is the best program to encode video for it?

I currently only have an iPod video, but I will be getting an iPhone and maybe a future iPod Touch. I'm assuming I would be encoding differently depending on the size screen the iPod has. I'd like to be able to hook the iPod up to a TV and watch the videos there. I'm not sure if that means different encoding or not.

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

1) final cut express would be a good starting points for home users, FCP seems like over kill
    2) if you're capturing off miniDV tapes, you'll want to capture using NTSC DV as the preset
    3) isquint/visual hub are your best bets for encoding for the ipod

3. Stemby

Stemby Whoooose House? COOOOOOOOOOOOGS HOUSE!

if you have FCP take the file in there and send it to compressor(i will do everything else after you tell it what you want)

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I use .mp4 compression with audio set at 128k, video being around 29.97fps, and a screen size around 320 wide. there are plenty of ipod video tutorials out there for converting videos so if you get the settings from those, it will give you a better understanding of how to save it in FCP/FCE

5. verbal

verbal Active Member

Does anyone hook up their iPod to a TV to watch video? Is it even worth doing?

6. verbal

verbal Active Member

Just bought visualhub. Haven't played yet though.

Anyone hook their ipod to a TV to watch videos? How does it look?

7. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

Looks ok on CRT's, but LCD's and Projectors are assed out.

8. verbal

verbal Active Member

So are there any much change advanced settings on visualhub to get the best out of it?