MIL Tax Question While Deployed

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cheerio, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Cheerio

Cheerio New Member

Supossively when you are OCONUS you do not pay taxes from your check. Well I am a deployed National Guard and we get most of our taxes back in our check at the end of the month. My question is can we still claim equipment bought for our "jobs" on our taxes? THe stuff we buy is tax free of course but I was not for sure if we could claim the item itself since it is not taxed? I am new to the whole tax thing. Usually someone else does them and I dont have anyone to ask that knows for sure. If I can claim it on my taxes, I need to know so I can start saving my receipts for my taxes.

2. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

you don't pay taxes at all when overseas? news to me. i want the hundreds in federal taxes back a month i've been paying for 4 years.

3. Dzl

Dzl New Member

No taxes only in a combat zone. I never heard of no taxes just being OCONUS.

4. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I'm OCONUS and I still pay all of my taxes. While in a combat zone you don't pay state and federal taxes....but the medicare and social security still has to get paid.

5. Cheerio

Cheerio New Member

Let me re-phrase, i am in a combat zone

6. luke2o9

luke2o9 New Member

You should be able to write it off if it was required for your job. They're pretty strict on what work related expenses you can and can't write off. Also keep in mind that unless you pay mortgage on a house or something where you're total itemized deduction is greater than your standard deduction then it's not going to do you any good.

7. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

I don't know how much you know about taxes so if the following doesn't make sense, I'll be happy to explain it to you further.

First off, when you file your tax return do you itemize your deductions or do you use the standard deduction? If you itemize your deductions then the equipment you purchased qualifies as an employee business expense, and falls under miscellaneous itemize deductions.

Miscellaneous itemize deductions are subject to the 2% limit, so depending on what your gross income is you may or may not be able to use this deduction. The bottom line is, keep all your receipts and then when it's time to file your taxes just add things up and see what you are able to use.

8. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Then it is tax free