TAT Tattoos that go over bone

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by bitetobreakskinn, Sep 13, 2005.

1. bitetobreakskinn

bitetobreakskinn Blinky the Christmas Ghost

I was thinking about getting a sleeve on my calf/lower leg, but I'm pretty skinny and it seems like my shins are RIGHT below the surface of my leg. How painful is it when the needle hits the bone? (I already have a tatt, so I'm not concerned with the normal needle pain, just the extra) :o

2. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

It hurts a lot. I hade the side of my legs done, by the ankle, and God Damn that shit hurt, but I think tats there look tight, so its worth it.

3. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

Not too bad honestly... I have a large one over my left ribs that was not nearly as bad as everyone said it would be, another smaller one on my right ribs again not too bad at all, and plenty on my spine. none were more than a short flinch so i wouldnt worry about ti too much.

4. firestarter810

firestarter810 New Member

I have "devil horn" tribal going right over that knob o spine at the base o my neck, and running upwards. That didn't hurt too much.

I also got my elbow done, and that hurt like a bitch.

Guess it all depends...

5. bitetobreakskinn

bitetobreakskinn Blinky the Christmas Ghost

The place I went to for my other tattoo, they put one of those blue "tracings" of my tattoo on my arm before he started. Do you think if they do that again, I can ask him to pull my skin away from the bone a little before inking it?

6. firestarter810

firestarter810 New Member

seems to me, but I am in no way an expert, that the technique you described would result in a crappy tattoo... Every time I go in, he always stretches me out as much as possible.

Just go through the pain. Even though my one elbow hurt a bunch, I'm still going to get the other one done. Think of it this way, even if you cry like a baby... he only ones who know are you a nd the artist... and you have a cool tat to show for it.

7. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

each person feels pain differently. hell.. on me each leg felt different. The tattoo on my right leg hurt pretty good when it went onto my shin bone. The tattoo on my left leg however, didn't hurt on my shin at all... most of the pain was when it was on the back of my calf.

8. joy division

joy division New Member

pics?

9. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo New Member

i got a tattoo on my ankle, right over the bone, when I was way skinny. And it hardly hurt me. But I think pain tolerances are different for everyone. I've shattered 2 bones in my right hand breaking boards, so that doesn't say a whole lot.

10. low20

low20 Member

i got one on my spine and it hurt pretty bad when she went over the bone....othe rthan that not too bad. expect pain about double what it is on just normal skin id say.

11. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo New Member

I have one on my spine as well... and it wasn't that bad.

In summary, I think its different for everyone, so you really can't go by what someone else says about the pain they experienced.

12. Laurel

Laurel New Member

yeah, my back tattoo(on my spine) wasn't very bad at all, the majority of the pain was actually away from the spine

13. Ea2oo1

Ea2oo1 New Member

Ya mine was on my spine too and i didnt hurt bad like laurel said I though it hurt more on the outside of the spine.

14. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

I would if I had a cemera or a pic phone that worked...

15. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

I couldnt feel any pain away from my spine. All the pain, which wasnt too bad, was all on my spine

16. StarDamage

StarDamage Good grief! OT Supporter

I got one over my shin, and have my sleeve done and honestly getting them on the bone isnt that bad. I mean you feel it, but its not like it isnt worth it

17. Two toys

Two toys New Member

my first tattoo will be started around my birthday (october 23rd) and i know its going to take multiple sessions, but it will be a full side piece covering my ribs as well and i have heard this is painful for your average person but i am really thin and my ribs kinda show, will this be a bad choice for a first?

18. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

It could be intense. My ribs were not half as bad as everyone inculding the artist said it would be but thats just me. If it is bad for you and you get it first at least youll never have to be afraid fo another one again!

19. joy division

joy division New Member

fuck everyone else and do it. I had a under 1 hour "piece" ( :ugh: it is some gay flash dragon) done on my 18th birthday. My next tattoo was a 15 hour piece on my ribs 5 years later. I'm a skinny guy, my ribs all show as well...you are in for some serious pain but its just ~15 hours of your life or whatever. You'll be able to get into it, make sure to eat before hand (this is huge, I didn't eat for one of my 3 hour sessions and I almost passed out afterward shaking and shit). If you get a heavy handed artist and a moderate level for pain you'll be squirming for sure. Hopefully you can find a good light handed artist, good luck and post pics!...the outline sucks a dick!

20. Fanya

Fanya OT Supporter

Alot. I'm a very skinny guy (6'4 135#s) and it hurt bad, felt my entire leg vibrating. Although that pain was nothing to getting my left half of my stomach and ribs tattooed. Ribs were god awful for me.

21. mandy18

mandy18 New Member

I have a tattoo on my ankle and it hurt, like it actually felt as if someone was sctratching at my bone with a needle. Felt funto walk afterwards lol.