TAT Tattoos in the corporate workplace?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by biomechmonster, Mar 31, 2006.

1. biomechmonster

biomechmonster Giger ftw

How do visible tattoos go over where you work (applies to corporate employers only)? I got a half-sleeve mostly done last late Aug/early Sept and haven't really had a chance to display it at work yet. But I know when it gets warmer I'll want to wear shortsleeved shirts (the sleeve hits about halfway down my upper arm). I'm getting the sleeve finished sometime probably in May (need about a 2" x 6" section on the underside of my arm done). It's nothing offensive and is in black and gray tones.

I've taken my cardigan off a couple times when I was hot and my tatt was partly on display but this was only when I was sitting at my desk, surrounded by co-workers that already know about my tatts.

My company is nothing like a law firm but it does have a business casual dress code with some restrictions. However, I dress very, very well compared to most of my co-workers so I'm sure that would help out a bit with displaying my tattoo.

Before the half-sleeve, there was a smaller tatt on that arm (it's a cover-up job) and no one said anything when I wore shortsleeves. I also have a small ish (about 3" high) tatt on the outside of my calf that is always visible when I wear skirts. My co-workers have also told me that there is a woman in another department whose lower legs are covered with tatts but I have never seen her :dunno:

Any input is appreciated :hsd:

2. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

really depends on your workplace... I know some places are really strict about it, but where I work no one really cares... we have lots of people walking around with visable tattoo's.. and a few with sleeves.

3. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

haha, I would probably be fired on the spot if I came into work with a visible tattoo....

I work as a programmer in a fairly large computer corp. I have also worked for 2 banks, and I would say thier policies would be the same. I have 2 tattoo's on my back, so I make sure I dont where a shirt that can be seen through at work.

Honestly, I would never hire someone with visible tattoo's, nothings against them personally its just veiwed very unprofessional these days. Maybe times will change, but it will be a few generations before that happens.

4. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

It depends on your company, the people that work there, lots of factors that can contribute to how it's viewed in your workplace. I've worked for the strictest place about Tattoos/piercings/etc: Disney, and i've worked at my old university where they didn't caret hat I had cherry red hair withthe back shaved and my facial piercings clearly displayed.

Most corperations that have you out in front with customers still frown upon tattoos. So you just need to tread softly, check to see the climate at your workplace and see what happens.

5. StarDamage

StarDamage Good grief! OT Supporter

Yeah mate, it depends on where you work. So it would be hard to say how you would go. You'd have to make that call based on you job environment etc. I work in a library and have tats up both arms, so naturally I wear long sleeves everyday. It does get annoying when it gets to 45 degrees celsius (113 fahrenheit) during summer. Hopefully your work is cool with them.

6. dumb_end_user

dumb_end_user Sad Gus

Why don't you ask your HR department what their stance is on visible tattoos?

Unfortunately being a female and a female with tattoos puts you even further behind the 8-ball. (Not my own views but definietly the view of a male dominated corporate America.)

7. Ratstink

Ratstink Ink & Iron

The last job I had (4yrs) I could show em every day. I have pretty good coverage on both arms so it wasn't suttle. they didn't care though.
    I recently changed jobs and the new place is waaaaay against it. I hate long sleeve shirts! :rant: but oh well. job is a job and as long as I'm bringin home all this extra crispy bacon I don't give a shit. I'll wrap my face like a mummy if they want me too.

8. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

Although no one has really said anything, most of the office people at my work place keep their tattoos covered. The guys in the manufacturing part do not.

9. dumb_end_user

dumb_end_user Sad Gus

Where is Seattle do you work that cares about tattoos? Safeco? :mamoru:

10. Ratstink

Ratstink Ink & Iron

No, I work for a financial services firm. We're downtown in the 2union building. The company is very concerned about professional image. It's funny because it's actually really laid back. example - St. Patty's we all stopped working for over an hour to drink beers. went back to my desk and was like damn! I gots me an office buzz!

- I have heard safeco is a buncha nazi's. no beards and shit like that

11. biomechmonster

biomechmonster Giger ftw

Thanks for the responses...I would like to add to my original post based on some replies here.

First and most important, I do not have any face time with customers whatsoever. I work in the sales department of a large supply company (typical fresh out of college job).

Like I said, the company has a dress code but it is fairly relaxed. Here are some examples: I have a pair of spit black knee-high combat boots that I keep clean and shined and I've worn them to work with skirts several times--no one really took a second look. There's a couple of guys here with long hair--one never keeps it pulled back and the other only recently started to keep his pulled back. Corduroys and "nice" t-shirts with no wording or images can pass the dress code here, at least for the women (the men need collared shirts or sweaters...but do often wear cords). Some of the longtime employees here wear faded black 80's mom-jeans with sweatshirts. This too passes the dress code (although it looks horrible!). Some of the women here dress purely for style...I've even seen a couple spaghetti strap tank tops here on very hot days. Sandals are common in the summer too (once again, only on women).

The company also has an enormous warehouse and a lot of the warehouse workers have visible tattoos (I've seen some on necks, too). The warehouse and office workers mingle and use the same cafeteria and restrooms.

I would ask HR about the tattoos but that would have to wait. The fact I parked in a fire zone several days in a row a couple months ago might still be fresh in their memories :mamoru:

Oh and for the black-tie Christmas party in December, I wore a strapless top that showed the big tatt on my back as well as my arm...after a few drinks I took my cardigan off and walked around with my tatts showing and while a few people looked, most didn't seem to care (or maybe they were too drunk!)

12. kuzikan

kuzikan New Member

I just started my full sleeve on my left arm. I work facing customers so our policy here is no visable tatts for customer facing employees. In our corp offices or anywhere else i think a bit of tact is all thats required. I have seen some of the older techs and engineers with the old panther and sail ships on the forearms, no one says anything to them though.

I am a store manager and would also never hire someone with visable tatts. Its not my view, but a lot of our customers are still put off by the sight of tatts on workers. Almost all of the people that work with me know i have them and most have some on themselves, but no one shows them off at work. My boss talks about his wifes tatts all the time but i think he would see me in a different light if he knew i had them. Other area managers that are more accepting always want to see new work i've gotten. I guess it just really boils down to how comfortable you feel about where you work. Sorry, sounds like a rant and the thoughts are all over the place.

13. sphinx

sphinx New Member

yeah....majority rules....depends on the workplace, i have mine covered during the day, because i wear pants and a short sleeved polo shirt. On Saturdays I work for only 3 hours and can dress very casual so i wear my shorts and the leg tatts are visible. Was nervous the first time when my boss saw me wearing shorts, but he didnt say anything.

14. Reaver2218

Reaver2218 Active Member

I work for a major car manufacturer and there are employees and one or two supervisors that have tatoo's one has the word peace writen on his forearm, as for the poeple that work in the office part of the building all where suits and or dress pants with polo shirts or something simular. I have never heard of anyone here get in trouble for showing or having one it really depends on the company and the rules they have set. I would think that say a fortune 500 company doesnt want a board member or someone with some authority looking like the got pulled out of a metallica concert and thrown into the job.