TAT Tattoo questions

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by marauder, Feb 11, 2006.

1. marauder

marauder New Member

What I want is a custom biomechanical tattoo (yes before you ask it would have a menaing to me). When I can afford it (could be a while.. and can travel) not sure the local tattoo parlours can do the detail I want. I know what I want and have a general design idea but putting it together in a final design I can't do I'm not artistic or vey imaginative at all.

Now to have a custom piece designed how long does that take? Day’s weeks?

How long would it take to have a half sleeve and shoulder blade and on the chest about the same area as the shoulder blade done? could it be done in one session.?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  2. marauder

marauder New Member

How much also about would a detailed one cost? $500+ ?

3. Black98GPGT

Black98GPGT im back....

It depends..Hows yer pain threshold? How big would it be? How much detail? etc...

It could take as long as you want it to take.

4. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Where are you located?
    You described a large area, I'd think it would be easily over $500 for a biomechanical (thats detailed, gonna take awhile) piece.

5. quickmex

quickmex New Member

I'd say give up to two weeks for it to be drawn, and i would guess one that big would take 3-4 two hour sessions, and you can guess price from that based on your artist's rates.

6. marauder

marauder New Member

High. I rarely complain, it would have to be very painful for me be worried
    That would pin point where I live too much lets just say its a small city.
    Only 1 decent tattoo parlour where I live as well.
    Please elaborate on that.
    I want it reasonable detailed. How big well I want a half sleeve on the left arm and shoulder blade also done then on the chest about the same area as the shoulder blade
    Well that wouldn't be free would it, what do they charge to draw it?
    I would of liked to get it done in one go, but if thats what it takes then so be it.
    Yeah.
    Thanks for the info keep replying if you think of anything else.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  7. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

Well..if you arent sure if your local parlor can do it, it would help to know about where you live, like near what big cities so people can refer you. That would save money on trips and what not.

2ndly, you arent really giving us a lot of information to help you. Yes, you said you want to have a half sleeve but everyones arm is different sizes. Same goes for shoulderblade and chest area.

As far as the time it would take, that too is lacking information, because heavy shadding and different colors are usually done in 2 different session to allow the area to heal up and get a better perspective of it. Not to mention, you are probably gonna have to go back, regardless, for touchups. IE: Areas that faded because of scabbing during the healing process.

As far as price, it also brings me back to the details and the exact size of it. A lot of details and a huge picture will bring the price up higher. Not a lot of details and a small size, it will bring the price down.

I also would not recommend you doing it ALL in one session, especially if you are worried about the details... that is best done over periods of weeks or in a week. Why rush something when you said it yourself that you are not sure a local parlor can do the details you want. Which brings me to my first point, you probably are scared or something but it would help to know kinda where you are at so, maybe i or someone else can recommend you to places that are close to you. If you lived near chicago, I can offer you, at least, 10 places that I would trust to get tattooed and I am very picky when it comes to getting tattooed.

8. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

Give us an idea of where you live. No one on here is going to stalk you and kill you. Telling us your city isn't that big of a deal. :rolleyes: Someone here will be able to recommend an artist in your area.

You won't be able to get a full detailed half sleeve done in one session. Most people can't sit long enough for that and the ones that do end up having major healing problems(over-scabbing, over-worked skin, scarring).

Having the design drawn up could take a few days, few weeks or even months. Most of this depends on where you decide to get tattooed. Some artists are booked up months in advance. As for price all shops are different. Some charge a small fee($20-30) and will take that off of the price of your tattoo. Some will keep that as a drawing fee. Again it all depends on the shop and artist.

Time it takes to get all the work you want done is also dependent on many things.... how well you sit (some can only sit for 2-3hrs at a time), how long your artist can sit (usually a 4-6hr max), how fast he/she tattoos, how much detail there is (plain basic bio takes less than Aaron Cain bio-mech, google his name for examples).

The same examples above also go for the cost of your tattoo. From what I hear on here US artists charge anywhere from $80-$200/hr. Remember you always get what you pay for. A good tattoo isn't always cheap and a cheap tattoo isn't always good.

9. CPTLA885

CPTLA885 Guest

I have a custom tribal zodiac on my upper chest. I had an idea of what I wanted, so I met with an artist. I expressed my ideas, he drew up a piece the next day. Later that afternoon I came in to the shop, and he showed me what he came up with. It was perfect. You need to make sure you feel comfortable with the artist, and the more clear you can be about what you want the more accurate the drawing will be. Keep in mind each artist works in different ways, they all have different styles.

An artist can easily come up with a design in a day.

Half sleeve and shoulder blade would take a long time. My tattoo is roughly four inches in length/height and it took 3 hours. My artist charged $175/hr.

Your piece would definitely be more than one session.

10. marauder

marauder New Member

Ok Well I don't live in the U.S.A I live in Australia near Brisbane.
    I can sit for hrs doesn't worry me..
    I will go into as much detail as I can on what I want. Well as mush as I would with the artist well maybe not as much don't know what questions that I might be asked so yeah only minor stuff I won't have listed here I guess.

Well I uploaded the pictures now here's the info about what I'm after.
    Examles of flesh
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The areas in blue I want the artist to redesign I don’t want it as thick as the first one or as fine as the 2nd and if possible more detailed then the 2 and I only want it used a bit through the half sleeve. I don't want it over done.
    I also don't want it used much on my should blade or chest only enough to increase detail and make it look good.

Example of detailing I like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last one I like overall, just an example to help give the tattoo artist ideas.

Example of muscle detail I’m after
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So in the first pic what I have in blue and the 2nd that sort of muscle detail.

For the mechanical detail
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What I want is a cross sort of between these 2 images.
    The mechanical side like the prosthetic combo, but with more detailing like the areas I have in green around in the other picture with that sort of wiring wrapped around it, I also want the flesh to be fussed to it and be part of it like a combination of the wiring and muscle.

Just examples of the sort of shading I like
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Their I think that should be enough info to go in some time and get a idea of the price and have a it designed.
    Then if I can afford it get it or if not wait till I can. Also what I want with it is the possibility latter on to increase the size of it on my chest and back even do the full back. Then latter depending on work etc. a full sleeve.

11. marauder

marauder New Member

With the size.
    This is how I want the front size wise (also getting on my back the shoulder blade you don't need a pic for that though.).
    I'm thinking of going with green area size. The red line on the arm is how long I want the half sleeve though.
    Don't know if this helps to give you an idea on my size I'm 6"3" and only 78kg.

[​IMG]

12. CPTLA885

CPTLA885 Guest

15-20 hours? More? Talk to an artist.

13. quickmex

quickmex New Member

No. Most shops will simply charge you a deposit good toward your last session; the one i have going on now which is fairly detailed and large (covers my calf) cost me 20 dollars and a week to be drawn.

The time question isn't necessarily based on your pain threshold or your time constraints, but the artists.

Good Luck!

14. marauder

marauder New Member

Looks like I will have to wait a fair while till I can afford this.

Yeah I will have to thanks everyone for your replys :) any more input I will be happy to hear.

15. marauder

marauder New Member

Another question does color add to the cost much? I want it designed with the artist free to use what looks best with these Black, Red, Green, Blue (would get the mechanical parts shaded with blue though and red on flesh ect.)

16. joy division

joy division New Member

color takes more time simply because the artist has to go through more motions while giving the tattoo (changing inks, mixing , etc.)... not only that but in my experience color ends up being a longer process... its kind of like working with different media, with only black they just have to think of one color but different styles of that one color...more thought is involved in multiple inks.

17. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

Yea, i dont think you will be able to do that in 1 sitting. And even if they could, I would recommend against it. Let the artist rest and also let the area rest too so he/she will able to create the best details.

18. marauder

marauder New Member

When I can get this done/afford it yeah I will go for how ever many sessions the artist recommends\says it needs to be.

Now if I was only artistic and creative I would be combining what I want into a design but I am neither artistic nor creative, I just know what I want and like.

19. CPTLA885

CPTLA885 Guest

Color usually will take longer, mixing the ink, etc. Definitely not one session. A friend of mine with a half sleeve and part of his chest tattooed said it took 30 hours. It will be pretty expensive.

20. joy division

joy division New Member

half sleeve and a litte chest for 30 hours :hsugh:

21. Black98GPGT

Black98GPGT im back....

I smell pussy:mamoru:

22. joy division

joy division New Member

.... :ugh: what?

23. CPTLA885

CPTLA885 Guest

The tattoo extends from a little below the elbow to his upper shoulder, across to the center of his chest. Also wraps around a little by his shoulder blade. Fairly intricate design also.

24. marauder

marauder New Member

Well I'm not going to have the mechanical or flesh detail done I have thought a lot about it and what I want in the detail and what I want to be on me for life.
    I know I don't want those so with the other pictures and 1 other I now have when I go to have it designed once I have saved up more (could take a while :( will see might get a lucky break soon) then I will go on and have a design done and take it from their :)

Just a question I'm not too good at imaging the colors and what it would look like.
    I think Black, Green they shuld go well together in what I want I think would be fine but maybe the artist could use some blue to? Don't know if blue would look good in it though.
    I defiantly don't want it bright; I’m not into bright cloths etc.

Can I ask what the artist does once they have a design you’re happy with do they make a copy of it and render it so you can see what the colors and it would look like overall.?