TAT Tattoo/Piercing Apprenticeship

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Soul_On_Fire, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Soul_On_Fire

Soul_On_Fire And the taste of the poison on her lips..

What kinda of funds does it take to get started normally, and how long can you expect it to last. do you have to take state health classes or anything? this is kinda more directed towards almighty buttons.. but i figured instead of a PM other people may want to see the answers.

2. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

well its different from shop to shop.

here's where my shop differs... for the first 3months after you've started tattooing regular customers you only make a very very very small percentage of teh money. the shop keeps the rest as payment. some shops make you pay a fee up front but if you decide you cant do it or they fire you then you are out a lot of money. price ranges from like $1,000 - $10,000.

piercing is slightly cheaper at some shops but basically everythings the same.

as for taking classes. my shop doesnt require it but i've taken first aid, bloodborne pathenogens, and anatomy courses to keep myself up on things. some US shops require you to have certain bloodborne pathenogens courses.

there are places you can go to learn tattooing/piercing but most of these places are just out to take your money and only teach you the very basics.

3. Soul_On_Fire

Well heres the deal.. I found out a semi- distant relative of mine owns a shop. And ive been looking for a way to apply my art to a career and after getting a tattoo I fell in love with them.. And basically hes offered to teach me to pierce then to do tattoos and when he opens a new branch id be the piercer and one of the tat artists. Im just seeing what all Im getting myself into.. he said hes saving me alot of money because he isnt charging me a apprenticeship fee or anything hes basically just letting me walk into it.. he said there may be classes and such.. so thanks on your answer there. how much does a typical machine set up and such gor for price wise?

4. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

its not needed but it does help

5. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

DO NOT do both! pick one or the either. both of them need your full attention. if not you wont be putting your heart into one of them which leads to bad work

6. Cherryfire

Cherryfire "If we believe obsurdities, we shall commit atroci

I agree with this wholeheartedly! I would never go to a studio that did both piercing and tattooing in one. I want to go to someone that specializes in what they do and concentrates only on that area of their trade.

7. Soul_On_Fire

I guess I didnt think of it like that. my piercer and my tattoo artist are the same guy so I didnt think twice about it. hes done an amazing job from both sides and I didnt cross my mind that it isnt the norm

8. Soul_On_Fire

ive never been to a tat shop that didnt have piercing or vice versa

9. Soul_On_Fire

but I do understand what you mean about focus on one trade or the other.

10. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

there are shops that do only piercings and only tattoos. what i meant was that IMO you should only concentrate on one. i would never attempt to learn tattooing (although i love the art) because my heart is in piercing. its what i do everyday and night. its my life right now. everyone i know who does both always slacks off in one of them and thats bad for business.

11. FadeToBright

FadeToBright FadetoFfuu

I find that strange, that most people don't know there are shops for jsut piercing and jsut for tattoos. I know where I have gotten all of my piercings has just been a piercing studio and where I have had my tattoo done, was just a tattoo studio.

12. Sieg

Sieg ★★Major League Door Kicker★★

I personally have been looking for one in the Nashville area, but majority of the places I go have one piercer, and they have an apprentice already. The search continues....

13. Soul_On_Fire

yea im doing this on top of my normal job.. so im gonna be really tied up for a loooong time learning this stuff..

14. Soul_On_Fire

well first week is down.. this job fucking rocks. theres ALOT more to it then I really thought.