TAT tattoo maintenance question

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by dscallaway69, Mar 21, 2005.

1. dscallaway69

dscallaway69 New Member

This may be a dumb question but anyways here goes. I am going to get a tattoo on my calf this weekend and need to know how to upkeep it so to speak. I have gotten other tattoos but they were easy to moisturize and all of that good stuff. I have to wear slacks to work every day so there in lies my problem. How do I keep it moisturized but keep it from getting on my slacks. Also I am assuming I should shave the spot on my leg before i go in.

2. dscallaway69

dscallaway69 New Member

see i heard that gauze will actually pull the ink out. the only option i had heard of was moisturizing it real well before i go to work then wrapping it in saran wrap to keep the moisture in, then redoing it around lunch time. I didn't know if there was a different way to do it

3. Bella

Bella New Member

Bagbomb thats all you need. At least for me it was a god send no scabing or anything

4. Laurel

Laurel New Member

what i was told, was to keep it well-moisturized with a and d(diaper rash) ointment for a couple days, then keep lubriderm on it. you can get tiny trial size bottles of lotion, keep one in your pocket, and every time you get a chance for a bathroom break or something, hit it with moisurizer.

I'm curious as to why guaze is so bad, it seems that it would allow the tattoo to breathe if loosely taped around the design. Perhaps try the non-stick bandage material?

5. lowell79

lowell79 New Member

Aveeno with Colloidal Oatmeal!

That's all you need.

6. dscallaway69

dscallaway69 New Member

so is there anything that i can wrap around it to keep from getting anything on my pants at work or am i just pretty well hosed on that subject

7. dumb_end_user

dumb_end_user Sad Gus

Get some Curad brand Telfa pads (basially non-stick breathable gauze) and loosely tape it over the tattoo during the day. It will keep the moisture in and let the thing breathe. As soon as you have a chance (after work) remove the covering ans throw on a pair of shorts.

[​IMG]

8. Chrissy

Chrissy dnb doll

when i got the tattoo on my calf two years ago i had NO problems. the skin on my calf must be VERY different from my neck because it barely scabbed over. on my neck it was pretty rough for a few days. i really wouldn't worry about it too much since, hopefully, you're not wearing stretch pants or something binding :hs:

9. dscallaway69

dscallaway69 New Member

no i don't wear stretch pants just slacks, it just sucks cause i am getting done friday night and have to work on saturday, but only for a few hours. after that i can just wear shorts until monday.

10. Laurel

Laurel New Member

hey! that's what I said!

11. inamorato

inamorato New Member

if you want and dont mind lookin a lil dumb... or not... maybe you could roll up 2 rolls of gauze and tape them along each side of the tattoo... like---> | tat | then would hold the pant leg off of the tattoo keepin' it from stickin'

never had a tattoo to do that with... but when i was high jumping one year i had a nasty meeting with the highjump bar and my back (i landed on it...5'6'' (i sucked at jumpin'))... the scab started to get real irritated so i put rolled gauze on each side of it and wore a hoodie for a few days till the scab wasn't so ...... eh... no one noticed

12. Xeryus

Xeryus New Member

sorry to hi-jack this thread, but it seems like you've gotten some good answers.

I too am planning on getting a tattoo on my calf, and my main concern is hair growing back. I know it will be shaved at inking time, but afterwards will the hair will grow back through the tattoo? Wont that cause the ink to be hidden by the hair and not be as visible?

I would assume most guys just leave it like that, b/c it would be weird to shave only a part of your calf around the tattoo.

Any insight?

13. dumb_end_user

dumb_end_user Sad Gus

Yes, the hair will grow back through the tattoo wthout any problems. The pigment is permanently in the skin and the hair will not be affected at all. If you have very thick or dark hair you may want to keep it trimmed in the area of your tattoo but most people just let it go au natural.

14. marinka624

marinka624 New Member

Use tattoo-goo...

15. TheBigWelsh

TheBigWelsh New Member

No way, ive only heard bad things about that stuff. I always tell our clients to use liberal amounts of A&D for the first 2-3 days. And leave it wrapped in saran for the first night, After the first two to three days are over, use an unscented hand lotion every 3-4 hours.

16. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

just skip the A&D, go straight to hand lotion. i've never used anything but hand lotion on mine and they've all healed great

17. atomlowe

atomlowe meh....member

All great recommendations, but this is what I did...

From the studio you will be bandaged. Leave the bandage on until the next morning. At that time shower trying not to have direct spray on the tattoo. Lightly stroke overtop the tattoo to remove any outstanding ink. I did not use soap or rub my tattoo in the shower until it was completely healed. You don't want to risk removing the scab and scaring the skin. After showering, dab dry with a clean cloth or towel.

I'd carry a small pocket sized bottle of hand lotion. Lubriderm unscented was my choice. Place a dab in your hand and quickly spread it over your palm. One or two quick soft strokes and I'd be finished applying it to the surface. I'd do that every 2 hours or so. You just want a light coating so I don't think your pant leg should give you much trouble. Just keep your socks rolled down under the tattoo for the first week.

18. Xeryus

Xeryus New Member

For how long should you continue to apply the lotion?

19. Laurel

Laurel New Member

at least 2 weeks, but moisturise it daily after that

20. dscallaway69

dscallaway69 New Member

alright i got it done on friday. i just used triple anti-biotic ointment on it for a few days and didn't wrap it in anything. it was wrapped when i left. beings that i was wearing loose fitting pants and shorts as much as possible never had a problem. I am now onto just putting lotion(lubriderm) on. as for the leg hair my hair is very thin anyways so i should have no problem with visibility. thanks for all the suggestions.

21. 12345678

12345678 EH?

pics!

22. TheBigWelsh

TheBigWelsh New Member

Ive always seen less scabbing when A&D was used than when it wasnt. Everyones body is different and react differently. Personally if i dont use A&D i get scabby kinda. Most of the opions here are true, so find whats best for you, or follow your artists instructions, its his work after all.