TAT Tattoo Care Question..

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Snackwellchip, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Snackwellchip

Snackwellchip New Member

I got my tattoo on Wed. night. and I'm been putting ointment on it 4 times a day for the 3 days like the artist told me to do... he said that after a few days the tattoo would start "flaking" or "scabbing".. This morning I notice that the tattoo seems to be "drying out" and my skin seems to be feeling as if I had a sunburn.. Is this what he meant by "flaking" and is this normal? I'm all done with the ointment and now I'm supposed to put just white non-scented hand lotion on it for a week. So my question is, is whats going on with the peeling skin, what he told me about as flaking?
    Thanks

2. DejaVooDoo

DejaVooDoo *Jojo*

Are you using Eucerin? That's awesome, IMO for tattoo's. Anyone disagree? :dunno:

3. Snackwellchip

Snackwellchip New Member

My tattoo guy said to just use normal non-scented white hand lotion for a week... is the white dry "peeling" skin, the normal "flaking" he was talking about?

4. 12345678

12345678 EH?

you are trying to keep the tattoo dry, i don't know if you are using any other products in the shower or anything? I just got a tattoo on friday and i did the initial wash saturday morning with some lever 2000 body wash, then i have just been applying some Lubiderm unscented moisturizer once or twice a day.

Your tattoo will dry out and crack and look weird, but don't pick or peel it, it'll fall off in the shower, in your shirt, in your bed etc. You'll find little flecks everywhere

5. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

6. Snackwellchip

Snackwellchip New Member

i did the initial wash on thursday morning.. then put the ointment that i was given at the tattoo place on it 3-4 times a day for Thursday, Friday and Saturday.. and now am putting on unscented white lotion like I was told 1-2 times a day..

thanks for the answers everyone

7. Nitromike

Nitromike Abused cabbage patch kid

Tattoo Goo > *

8. Cherryfire

Cherryfire "If we believe obsurdities, we shall commit atroci

Sounds to me that you went to a good tattoo shop. I agree with your aftercare instructions completely. The flaking youre seeing is just as everyone described. Seeing tiny flecks or pieces of skin is normal. In some cases, a slightly larger piece will be there too. Like stated before, youll find it inside your clothes, on your bed when you wake, ...everywhere. Good work with the lotion. Unscented, undyed, un EVERYTHING lotion is best for aftercare of your tattoo. Apply it as youve been directed, and if it seems especially itchy (in that first week, youre going to think you skin is going to itch off :hs: ), apply a little more then. The lotion wont hurt you at all..its helping rehydrate and nourish your skin while its shedding all the "damaged" skin involved in the tattoo. (hense the skin flaking)

Another point brought up i want to reiterate and one that Im sure you know: DO NOT scratch, rub, pick or ANYTHING your tattoo while its healing. You'll end up with a sad, scarred looking tattoo that will make your artist embarrased to say its his work. ;) And youll be way disapointed in the end too. You'll also be screwing your tattoo artist over any future business because the second i see a scarred, sad looking tattoo, I always fiegn interest and ask where they got it........so i know where NOT to go. And tell 10 friends. :hs:

You sound like youre doing a great job..Keep it up. And enjoy that tattoo! Hey, we'd all love to see it too. Any chance we'll be seeing any pics of it soon?

9. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

also do a search on google or the BME QOD for "oclusive bandage method"

10. Snackwellchip

Snackwellchip New Member

Cherryfire, Here are two pics... the first one is zoomed in on it but it looks 100000x better in person because it's on my back and i took it by myself in the reflection of a mirror... the second pic is just my whole back to get an idea of the size of the tatoo..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. bugmp3

bugmp3 New Member

Yeah I got mine done last saturday. For the first 4 days I would wash it with dial anti-bacterial soap (once a day in the shower) then apply the ointment a few times a day. On the 5th day I started using Curel non-scented, white lotion. I apply that 3-4 times a day. Depending on how itchy it gets.

The tattoo shop told me that it would peel and feel just like a sunburn. He was right. On about the 5-6th day it began to peel and flake off.

I posted pics here. http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=955381

12. Cherryfire

Cherryfire "If we believe obsurdities, we shall commit atroci

Snackwell, that tattoo looks awesome. I think you're doing a great job of keeping it up too. And for whoever that tattoo is in reverence of, he or she was too damned young.

13. Snackwellchip

Snackwellchip New Member

Thanks Cherryfire for the complement... and yes you're right.. my sister was too damn young :wtc:

14. burton564

burton564 New Member

My artist told me to let it heal naturally, so thats what i did and mine turned out fine. I didn't use anything at all on them.

15. 12345678

12345678 EH?

yeah the moisturizer is really just to help ease discomfort from the itchyness and to keep the skin hydrated. Other than that it doesn't really serve a purpose