taskbar transparency

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rodriguez, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Guest

i have found many programs which enable making the taskbar transparent/translucent and it really does enhance the appearance of the windowsxp desktop. however, whenever the start menu is opened, after it is closed, a line of color is always left above that spot. does anyone know of a transparency program which eliminates this problem? thanks in advance.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I never heard of making the taskbar transparent...

How about using auto-hide?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they do this with a hack that sets a window's alpha-blend to something other than "1". not redrawing properly is a problem because the window was never meant to be transparent in the first place! So Windows doesn't re-draw what it thinks can't be seen (to speed things up, since redrawing the whole screen, including what isn't visible, is a waste of CPU time) This is what leaves those artifacts.

4. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Guest

jollyogre - i see.

my gripe is with the windows xp 3D taskbar. i really hate the way it looks but i also dont want to apply autohide because that is a nuisance. i really like the flat taskbar seen under windows classic mode. however, i hate the rest of windows classic mode. is there any way or program which makes the windows xp mode taskbar appear flat as seen in windows classic? thanks

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'm not in front of XP right now, so this is the just of it, and you can prolly find it from there:

Control Panel > System > Advanced > Settings > Performance