targeting lower abs

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by checkii, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

So I was wondering what exercises can target the lower abs. I dont have a gym membership right now so I just run and use my tower that has a leg lift station. I add 10lbs of weight to each ankle and do leg lifts but only my top 4 abs are showing and my bototm four are really week.
    anyone know some good exercises to get good muscle build on those bottom 4?

2. princess0fdiabl0

princess0fdiabl0 The Hairy Animal

3. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

crunches? you can target the lowers pretty easily if you do them right; make sure you are lifting up your entire back when you do them, and not just bending in the middle of your abdomen

4. pt

pt New Member

5. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

keep in mind, i did read all of the stickies, etc...
    but right now I run a lot and eat pretty damn well, but I am getting too skinny everywhere else. and you can just feel and see that the muscvle on the top 4 is much stronger.

So if i need to burn love handles and lower four:

crunches and then what, twist right and left when I do crunches to get the love handles???

do leg lifts on those towers really work your hiops and not abs?? thats lame.

6. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

doing crunches won't get rid of your love handles. losing fat (aka getting rid of love handles) is mostly about diet. the crunches will build up the muscle that's underneath the fat, but if you don't eat under maintenance calories you most likely will not get rid of that extra fat.

7. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

your obviously not dieting right or you're expecting it to come off faster than it will. i've been dieting for about 8 weeks and i've gone from 12% to 9% about. it has nothing to do with how big or strong your abs are because everyone has ab muscles, they are just covered up by fat. so lose that fat and you'll have visible abs.

8. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

understood. But what can I do to avoid the rest of me getting too skinny. I am 5'10" and have gotten my weight as low as 138lbs with no 6pack. But my face, arms, legs, etc. all looked fucking gross.
    is it just a matter of me needing to get a gym pass so I can build muscle while I cut the fat? then low cal, low fat, high protien eating?

PS, I have been running and eating better for about 3 months now and have gone from 180 to 155 which is what I consider my ideal weight, i dont like weighing any more or less than that.

9. pt

pt New Member

That sounds odd :dunno: no abs visible at all ? Are you able to flex them at all ?

10. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

11. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

build muscle mass, you know where to look for that...

12. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

as funny as it is, i still had pudge over my bottom abs. even my top 4 look kinda bad. They look more like its rib showing, the bottom 2 never have shown through. that's why i'm so confused as to what to do. I figured i've just never built enough muscle to show through.

I was planning on joining a gym in a few weeks (just started a new job). Would you suggest a regular gym like 24 hr fitness or a boxing gym? I figured a boxing gym would keep me more motivated to cut down more.

13. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

you need to join a gym where you can lift weights and build muscle if you think you are too skinny.

14. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

thats what I figured. maybe i'll post a pic when I get home. I hav just a weird build. if i could get rid of the love handles and the bottom belly i think id be in really damn good shape. but to get rid of that i think i'd have to cut down too much.

15. pt

pt New Member

Sounds like you might have a distended stomach combined with being a skinnyfawk in general :dunno:

16. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

agreed, but i dont like the look of forced abs. my buddy is the kind of guy that just puts on so much muscle at the gym his show well enough, but they look weird. not that well defined, protruding his stomach out like a belly almopst.

but I still dont know, aside from dieting, what can I do to build up the muscle there, just crunches?

17. pt

pt New Member

Q: A personal trainer at my gym told me that I could focus on training the "upper and lower" regions of my abdominal wall. Is this possible, I mean I was always under the impression that the rectus abdominis was one muscle?

A: Maki Riddington:

When it all boils down, the question that needs to be answered is, can certain muscles be regionally targeted? There's quite a gray area surrounding this issue. The all or none law states that an action potential either occurs and is transmitted down the axon, or doesn’t occur at all. In other words, a muscle contracts as a whole or does not at all. So how can a muscle that is one sheath have certain areas placed under more stress? Multitudes of trainees have testified about how they've selectively emphasized different regions of certain muscles. Science also shows through testing that muscles such as the rectus abdominis can be regionally emphasized to a certain extent (1). Then again, as the saying goes, there are two sides to every slice. On the other side, science also shows us the opposite (2).

This is an area of controversy that'll continually be debated until science proves otherwise. I lean towards the group who believe that it's possible to target certain areas of a muscle. This is based upon personal experience. Although science plays an integral part in shaping and guiding us, real life results cannot be ignored.

References

1. Lehman GJ, McGill SM. Quantification of the differences in electromyographic activity magnitude between the upper and lower portions of the rectus abdominis muscle during selected trunk exercises. Phys Ther. 2001 May;81(5):1096-101.PMID: 11319934.

2. Willett GM, Hyde JE, Uhrlaub MB, Wendel CL, Karst GM. Relative activity of abdominal muscles during commonly prescribed strengthening exercises. J Strength Cond Res. 2001 Nov;15(4):480-5. PMID: 11726260.

A: Cameron:

Abs, in fact, are one unit, however there are many people who can preferentially recruit each segment at a time. A good example is belly dancers. I think that certain exercises lend themselves to stressing certain areas. Most variations of sit-ups work the upper abdominals more so than the lower abs. While hanging leg, raises tend to stress the lowers abs more than the upper. Although the upper still is worked.

18. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

seriously man, I really appreciate it. that's what I was trying to figure out. I have always built my upper abs much better and I personally think its because of the way I work out.
    Atleast I know what I have to work on now.

thanks.

19. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

it's common for most men to have some stomach fat on the lower portion of their abs (ie ur lower abs aren't as defined). it doesn't have to do with how u work out. it has to do with ur body fat%. i have a strip of fat and it's annoying as hell, but no matter how many "lower ab exercises" i do, they're not gonna show until i lower body fat.

20. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

So I guess it's as simple as needing to eat a little better than I am now, keep up with the running but start lifting so I dont turn into a skinny biotch again. makes sense. thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.