GUN target from the range w/ the P228

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spankaveli, Feb 14, 2005.

1. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

[​IMG]

done at 30 and 50ft

not bad for my 2nd time and first time w/ this gun... :dunno:

next time ill use different targets for each distance :o

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

what's with the bottom shoot-n-c? If you're trying to mimic a heart it should be closer to the center :o

3. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

Not too bad. You'll get better with practice. I wouldn't be too concerned about getting bulls eye's on every shot, but on the other hand try to put the bullets in a consistent location. IE, if your gun shoots high and right an inch or so, that's fine. Just practice keeping the bullets in a tight group. By then you'll be used to putting fire in the same location and can adjust your sights accordingly. And keeping the barrel as clean as possible will aslo greatly effect how "tight" these groups are.

But you're not doing too bad for the 2nd time.

-Aaron

4. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

i was there for about 20 minutes, could have been alot tighter if i had more patience but I had some friends with me and we were going to hooters afterwards :o

5. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Not to be too disagreeable but most people who adjust their sights can't shoot. All they are doing is moving their sights to compensate for bad habits.

Learn to shoot properly.

6. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Thats like saying "people that adjust their rfle scopes after bore sighting can't shoot" :rolleyes:

If after a decent amount of trips to the range you consistantly group high and to the right, I thinks its time to adjust your sights (if they're adjustable)

7. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Are we talking about rifles and rifle scopes? No.

I'll say it again. Adjustable sights ARE A FUCKING CRUTCH FOR PEOPLE WHO LACK HANDGUN MARKSMANSHIP SKILLS.

8. skeletor25rs

It was a simile - a figure of speech that expresses a resemblance between things of different kinds (usually formed with `like' or `as')

To say it again, you would have to say the same thing the second time that you said the first :hsugh:

Whether you have good shooting habits or not, if you recreate the same bad habit everytime you can adjust the sights to fix the problem (to an extent).

But none of my guns have adj. sights:rofl:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  9. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

No, it's not. Scoped Rifles and fixed sight pistols are two entirely different things that can't be equally compared.

And if you shoot high and to the right, then you you have a flaw in your shooting ability. Like Shacklemenot said, you shouldn't have to adjust your sights to make up for a flaw. Fix the flaw in your technique.

10. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I'm just asking because I don't know... Why do the sights on a handgun not matter if they're adjustable but on a rifle they do? The sights on a handgun don't need to be adjusted at all or what?

11. skeletor25rs

apparently not if you have perfect e-shooting form :mamoru:

I was always pretty good at duck hunt :rofl:

12. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

it's one thing if the sights are of when you have perfect sight picture and the pistol is being perfectly bench rested. Then you move the sights. However, nearly all poor shooting this day and age is the direct result of just that: poor shooting. It's not poor sight adjustment, it's poor sight alignment, or poor trigger control, or improper grip, or one of a myriad of other things that you could be doing wrong. The problem with adjusting the sights is that the mistakes you're making don't go away, they just get swept under the rug. They'll become worse, and you'll just keep drifting the sights. Glocks that shoot dead on don't shoot dead on in my hands. I push the groups to the left if I'm shooting righty, or right if I'm shooting lefty. I don't move the sights to compensate, I work on proper finger placement on the trigger. If you have a flaw in your shooting, you'll continue to have that flaw on other pistols, possibly on all firearms. It does you no service to simply move the sights and ignore it.

13. Goat

god forbid someone try to become a good shot, lets all just take the easy way out :ugh:

14. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

You win. You're an idiot.

15. skeletor25rs

Its nice to get a good explanation ever now and then :)

16. skeletor25rs

I just play one on the internet ;) :fawkd:

17. Goat

Was it that hard to understand? :hsugh:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  18. skeletor25rs

nice edit...no, just had a better attitude about the explanation.

i never meant that he should change his sights his second time at the range or anything. Maybe I was just arguing for the sake of arguing. Its been that kind of day :hs:

19. DamnedDirtyApe

DamnedDirtyApe New Member

Quote:
    "Adjustable sights ARE A FUCKING CRUTCH FOR PEOPLE WHO LACK HANDGUN MARKSMANSHIP SKILLS"

I shoot at a 25 yard Bullseye range, and I also reload. Anyone who shoots Bullseye with any success is using adjustable sights, or, most often, a red-dot, which is a fully adjustable electronic sight.

From some middle point of sight adjustment, lighter bullets will print lower, and heavier bullets will print higher. Different brands of lead bullets - and there are many - will print to different areas of the target. This is nothing to do with skill or no skill - it is simply the nature of the ammunition, and each beast has its own nature.

Temperature and humidity affects bullet placement too - again, nothing to do with skill - just physics. The condition of the bore can change throughout the course of the match, again affecting consistency.

You practice & discover where the bullet is consistently striking, and move the sights correspondingly.

20. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

He is not an expert shooting 25 yard bullseye competitions. He is a novice shooter getting advice to adjust his sights if he can't hit at 30 feet.

21. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

I'll agree with that until the end of the earth.
    I see too many people at the range saying "man, I keep missing XYZ or I keep doing this, I need to adjust my sights". 9/10 times it's not the sights. Correct shooting stance, how clean the gun is etc can all effect how well you shoot. The best way I've found how to shoot correctly is to take a CCW class, and a couple of tactical classes. Or atleast buy a real infomative DVD that will help answer some questions. It's better to ask a question about something and feel dumb for a second, then go and change to taller sights or whatnot. Then, properly learn how to shoot and find out just how much you jacked your aiming up.

Anyway, keep practicing. Shooting becomes VERY addictive. :cool:

22. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

^ ccw and tactical classes are good, but they are expensive to take if you just want to learn how to shoot, some basic competency with a gun is expected also

I would reccomend that you look into courses offered by your range, if they don't have one, look at another range, it will help you learn proper form, maintainence, reloading skills, and etiquette, then you can look at taking ccw and tactical classes

23. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

holy hijack :ugh2: