'tard crew: cheap Oxtar Supermotard boots @ cyclegear

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Junkie, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

I just picked up a pair of Oxtar Supermotard boots at Cyclegear for $110. Original price was $320, but Oxtar got sued by Alpinestars and had to change their name so a lot of their stuff is on sale CHEAP.

These are STURDY boots, full dirtbike boot height (17" tall for my size 12s), and the soles are velcrod on for easy replacement. It's serious velcro though, I ended up flattracking the bike around an onramp yesterday and they're fine. They're also a very hard compound - my friend couldn't get his knife into them, and they can absorb some very serious impacts (read: an SKS, from a 250lb guy who's damn near all muscle).

They've also got some other dirtbike boots on sale, I think the supermoto boots are the cheapest ones though.

And the boots, with a rockstar can for scale:
    [​IMG]

I'd recommend them to anyone who rides a dual sport/motard and needs a decent pair of boots cheap. The only issue I have with them is that mine squeak a bit, and I'm sure I can just lube the joints on them a bit to get rid of that. They aren't even really broken in yet but they're already fairly comfortable to me. I got them monday, wore them for commute/school tuesday (35 miles of riding, 2.5 hours of class), wore them for commute/school wednesday, then errands in town, followed by a 50 mile ride with 20 other people, followed by hanging out at bike night (standing) for an hour or so, followed by commute home (100 miles total wednesday). Thursday was commute (but remembered to bring sandals), followed by a several hour trip north (35 mile commute, 230ish mile trip north that took ~5 hours). Today was 65 miles. My feet were a bit sore the days I forgot to bring something to walk around in (duh, they're tall boots) but they're already great for riding it.

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

is that why Oxtar stuff is so cheap lately?

3. squid

squid braap

Does it come with sliders that wrap around the sides? If not those things would get destroyed pretty quickly.

Still, you could buy nearly 4 sets for what I paid for my SIDI Crossfires...

4. Junkie

that's what I read somewhere as to why they're so cheap now, yeah

nope, doesn't come with sliders. I'm probably gonna hack up a plastic cutting board to make some though :mamoru:

5. rubba-chikin

rubba-chikin New Member

Hrm I need a pair, just wearing regular skate shoes at the moment... tried some old steel capped work boots I had but I can't feel the gear lever at all and keep missing shifts.

They are listed at 149 on the website... I'd need postage to Aus anyway which is usually the killer cause most online stores want $60+ for shipping :(

6. Junkie

Yeah they're listed at $150 online but they were listed at $110 in store.

What size do you wear?

7. rubba-chikin

rubba-chikin New Member

I am generally a size 11 US.

Last lot of gear I got from ridersdiscount.com cause they offer $25 international shipping.

Got my jacket and gloves that way, took ~ 3 weeks to get here which is pretty reasonable imo.

8. squid

squid braap

Someone, somewhere makes sliders for affixing to regular MX boots...but I'll be damned if I remember who it is. If you can find it, you'd have yourself a good set of boots that would last a number of trackdays.

9. LiveSideways

LiveSideways Two bitches at the same time, synchronized swimmer

I wouldn't count on finding replacement soles very easily though. IIRC they were rare and $$$

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

These are used to keep you from destroying your ankles if you land wrong, right?

11. Junkie

yeah, well they're $110 boots anyway and the rubber seems to be pretty hard :o

also, dragging the toes on the freeway is a damn good way to get tailgaters to back off...