Tar or Rubber layered all inside and outer edge of wheel well and some on the paint!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Renegade, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Okay so I go to wash my car the day after going to Gainesville Raceway, and on my right front tire wheel well there is either tar or burnt rubber all layered and stuck inside my wheel well, outer edge of my wheel well, and some on the side of the car, I scratched about 1/2 of it off on the wheel well, but its to much for the rest. What can I do to get this off, a mitt wouldnt do it.

2. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

On this wheel well, grease was splattered inside, and a ton of tar. I washed, use catrol super clean 1:1, and tarminator. All 4 wheel wells took 3 hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Damn, where can I get those products, and what did you apply them with?

4. Renegade

Renegade New Member

think goo gone could do it, what should I use to take it off after i spray something on it

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Citrus cleaners also work very well on tar, just make sure you wash and rewax after using them.

n2_space-excellent work on those wheel wells! They look brand new!

6. Renegade

Renegade New Member

I guess Ill have to go to some automotive place to pick up some wax/goo gone, can I use cleaner wax as wax or is that not okay?

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

You can use cleaner wax, but I would suggest one of the waxes from the Product List? What have you been using for wax?

8. Renegade

Renegade New Member

I use Zaino when I go home because I can only wash my car about once a month and have no time to wax it here at the University of Florida. I know you arent all Zaino fans but I still have some left and it really is durable 6-9 months...I would like some other suggestions on the easiest polymer not for shine, but for durability. After I put a coat of Zaino on I sometimes use S100 to top it. But I have none of my products up here except cleaner wax and scratch x. I need to buy a mitt and goo gone and Ill see how well that works, but after using goo gone I dont know what to use to scrape the tar or rubber off.

9. Renegade

Renegade New Member

I am now told thats probably something called VHT for prepping the track, can I use just a bug and tar remover, and if so can I use it on the paint as well?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  10. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You don't need to justify using Zaino to anyone. Not my cup of tea but it is hella durable and does look pretty good on lighter colors. In fact, I may be testing some in the next few weeks. Someone on Autopia is going to send me some to try. Probably use it over AIO since I am not doing a dawn wash on my car or any of my customers. Probably stick with trying it on pearls or silvers, I hear it looks best on those colors.

11. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Scott got any comments or experiences with removing VHT which i found out what I thought the tar was? can I use just a bug and tar remover, and if so can I use it on the paint as well?

12. 6']['9

6']['9 New Member

any bug & tar remover you should be able to use on painted surfaces. I havent tried the tarminator but i might give it a shot. I usually use a body solvent or sometimes wd40.

13. Renegade

Renegade New Member

are all the bug and tar removers the same, does it matter which one i get

has anyone got VHT off their car before? What is VHT made up of, would goo gone or bug and tar spray be more useful for getting off the VHT?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  14. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Thanks Scott :)

Castrol SC you can get anywhere (wally world, etc), Tarminator you can find at Pep Boys (only place locally), hands down the best tar remover I have ever used, just some old terry's and some elbow grease...and time. I followed up by waxing with #16. I also went inside the the back bed of the truck, if anyone wants more pics I will post them, but I don't want to hi-jack the thread (I have enough already).

15. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

Renegade, try the Castrol S.C. It comes in a purple bottle, and kinda like simple green but stronger. I used it to clean some very very dirty white wheels, and it took off the dirt with ease.

16. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Pro-SOL by prowax.com is a great bug and tar remover. I did an f-250 that all the lower panels were covered in tar and they came clean as new.

17. Renegade

Renegade New Member

used lifter 1 bug and tar remover, took 2 hours to get 90% off out of wheel wells and got it off my paint, should I just leave it alone now since its not noticeable, can VHT hurt anything if its coated a little on the wheel wells or on anything else such as my headers and other parts underneath the car?