Tape Drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by urbanlegend, Aug 9, 2007.

1. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

Hey guys,

I recently inherited a couple people's workloads as they have left the company. Really, my focus is trying to keep things operating efficiently while I still maintain my own job. I've been asked to replace a Quantum tape drive that has continued to break down. My experience with tape drive hardware is very limited. I know how to run the jobs and configure, and have played around with the drive hardware to get it working again, but I'm not too familiar with brands. Does anyone have any personal experience or opinions on what brands or models?

I'm looking at a drive with a library.

Thanks for the help :x:

2. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

How much are you looking to spend?? We're running an Overland tape changer, dual drives, holds 24 200/400GB tapes. Pretty nice setup overall.

3. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

Somewhere in the ball park of 7k for the drive (CND).

What model do you have?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I've used 3 generations of HP drives and I couldn't be happier. It all depends on how much data you want to back up at a time.

What do you mean you're looking for one with a library? Do you mean an auto-changer?

5. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

why is it failing?

what type of drive it is?

do you plan to keep using the same media?

7k, hmmm....

6. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

Yup, with magazines to store the tapes in slots.

7. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

Quantum drive is old and keeps garbling tapes.

8. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Actually it holds more then I thought, 14 on one side with a mail slot, 15 on the other. It's a NEO 2000 model. LTO2 tapes, I understand the LTO3 drives are out and will plug into our system and the software will work with small mods. Like I mentioned we have the dual drive model I know when we first got it, we only had a single drive in it ...

9. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

okay. so you don't know what type of drive it is.

Again, do you plan to keep using the same media? because this will add onto the cost. Will you be using the same scsi card? If so, make sure it's the same interface.

you should be able to find a 2u jukebox with one drive, probably with a single LTO2 drive for ~7k new.

SUN/STK, Compaq/HP, IBM are pretty good. Never tried a dell before, but i assume that they are okay.

10. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

I apologize. I didn't realize you wanted the specific model for the drive. It's an DLT Quantum Loader with 16 slots (2 magazines).

11. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Okay then why are you just answering one out of a few questions?

I assume that you are not going to use the old DLT tapes again. So with the 7K budget, you're looking to move up to a single SDLT320/600 or LTO II route. LTO III may be out of your budget. If you go SDLT you can read the DLT tapes, if you go LTO, you can migrate your DLT data to LTO or let the data expire.

12. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

Cause I have people looking over my shoulder every 10 seconds and I don't want to get bitched at for being on a forum. I leave my posts short and sweet.

We'd like to use the old tapes, but if they need to be changed they can be. We'll let the data expire and move over to LTO if we need to. We have one system across the street as the DLT and the one at our location is LTO so I have experience with both. All I wanted to know was quality of brands. We've had several re-occurring problems with Quantum and are looking for a change.

13. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

quantum gets rebranded A LOT, so if you're concerned with brands, be aware of that. although that is a stupid way to decide what hardware to use.

there are a lot of moving parts with these things and require maintenance. dust is their arch enemy.

again sdlt can read dlt, but if you already have lto, why not make it uniform across the sites. lto is backwards read compatible as well, the matrix is somewhere on the net.

also with the budget of 7k, you may not have the luxury in picking and choosing brands.

14. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

Company is cheap, all I can do is give my recommendation. When I took over this responsibility, I cleaned the drives 3-4 times already in a 2 week span - believe me, I know dust ruins hardware. I'd prefer to go with LTO, but all I can do is give a recommendation.

15. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

Anyone else?