GUN tanfoglio TZ 75 vs. CZ 75

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bloody Sunday, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

That one looks like a transitional '75, with the smaller controls and the spur hammer. There are tons of clones, some with features/specs that look better on paper, some that actually might be better in practice. Supposedly the Sphinx guns are the best of the breed as far as box stock '75 clones go. Tanfoglio has moved away from direct CZ copies since the introduction of the "large frame" models. Parts compatibility is pretty much nil.

I dunno, I've shot some tanfos and they be alright. The witness elites were/are pretty nice, and I shot a limited Tanfo that was pretty cool. They aren't without their own problems though. Magazines (for the 9mm especially) suck. EAA (the importer) sucks.

If they could get their open guns to run in 9mm Major, I'd probably buy one. As it stands, I prefer the CZ's myself.

3. Bloody Sunday

you're a wealth of knowledge, phrozen. thanks.

so their copy is just the frame, everything else is a bit different internally?

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Nah dude, I've only shot some Tanfos, and heard the various bitchings about them.

If you really want to know more about them, go check out BENOS or CZForum. Tanfos are mildly popular in IPSC (really popular outside the US), and some of those guys really knows what it takes to make them run (Henning is supposedly the Angus Hobdell in the Tanfo world).

The parts compatibility has changed a lot over the years. I *think* the older they are, the more like CZ's they are. I'm not really for sure if they ever made a gun that was a "direct" clone, as I think they have pretty much always been a little different. Ironically enough, most CZ "clones" are actually clones of the italian Tanfos, and are built by them, or licensed from them.

All this shit is really a huge mess, as far as the differences between the various clones, and which guns will take what parts. I don't really keep up with it a whole lot, because quite frankly I am really only interested in CZ's. If you are seriously interested in one, then don't take my word for it, go ask some of those guys who really get into that world.

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I realized I didn't even completely answer your question regarding the frame.

Honestly, I dunno. That is a "small frame" Tanfo, which means its probably older. I'm wanting to say the frame is *mostly* the same as a CZ, though I don't think it matters cause I still don't think they will accept very many CZ parts.

6. Bloody Sunday

What I meant by frame, was that they're just aesthetically similar and that's it

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

That version on the tangfolio is very similar to the CZ75 preB, none or little of the parts interchange though.

For a non compensated iron sighted I would go with a CZ75sa or a CZ sp01. For a compensated gun the EAA guns at least have that as a factory option. I see plenty of EAA open gun down here in so cal. These are the old school early 90's guns in 9x21, 38 super, etc. For some reason (well we know the reason) people don't shoot major with them. The newer EAA's such as the gold team, Grauffel don't work well in 9mm because of the mags. Everyone seems to shoot them in 38 super comp. Now I know henning's and Grauffel's gun make major but my buddy has two Grauffel guns and they both sheer barrel lugs when shooting major. According to the local EAA expert he has to have the chamber reamed out with a 9x21 reamer to change the pressure spike.

Short story is those CZ pattern guns are really wierd. Will see if phrozen goes through with his CZ open project.